Any SQ advantages with Dual AES vs Singel AES , besides it is capable of higher resolution?

@Phil

Are there any sound advantages with Dual AES vs Singel AES besides Dual AES is capable of sending higher resolution?
If we let say compare a Dual AES connection with 16/48khz - 24/96Khz signal vs the same resolution on a singel AES connection, does the Dual AES got any sound advantages at all?

From what i understand it is no SQ advantages with Dual vs Single, but would be great to shade som light on this question.

As far as I am aware there is no sonic difference aside from dual AES catering for sampling resolutions in excess of 96KS/s.

Dual AES was essentially a dCS invention caused by the protocol for single wire AES 3 being limited to a maximum of 96KS/s. So any sonic advantage is a result of higher sampling rate(s) becoming available, not the use of two wires.

1 Like

Hum… I tried Dual AES with 2 x 44.1khz that double it up to 88.2 khz with good results. The sound are slightly more dry and more depht and control, but it can be placebo also :wink:

I also discovered that the Puccini U-Clock PUC did not clock to a 352.8 Khz signal, but the Paganini DAC without the Master Clock did it without hesitate.
The Master clock will only multiply 48khz signals x 4 up to 192 khz in Dual AES from my findings. Over that rate i get a huge distorted signal in the right channel.

I think i have read that the Paganini Master Clock is able to sync to 358.2 Khz signals because of the more advanced processor controlled VCXO clocks etc vs the U-Clock OCXO clock.

Can dCS confirm this or is anything wrong with the Paganini DAC / U-Clock perhaps?

@Phil

Andrew is no longer with dCS, so @Phil might work :wink:

1 Like

Both Puccini U Clock and Paganini Master Clock are specified to max 192 K for USB input only ( see User Manuals).

Using AES will not convert 44.1 to 88.2 by moving from single to dual AES. As the sample rate is below 96K the dCS components will auto select a single AES. You can only hear a 44.1 K source at a higher rate by using an upsampler which will, of course, bring sonic changes. In any case the dual AES protocol concerns the data packing of the incoming stream rather than changing the data in that stream.

Yes if you are using USB in either U-Clock or Paganini Master clock the limit is 192khz, but i cant see anywhere in the user manual what the limit is for the Paganini Master clock if it only is used as a clock and not with USB, if it then can multiply the 44.1 or 48khz by x8 times instead of x4 ?

Then my Paganini DAC FW 1.3 combines the two incoming 44.1 khz signals from the Network Bridge ( set at 88.2 in the Mosaic settings) , so the result in the display is 16/88.2 in Dual AES Auto mode.

1 Like

Absolutely correct.
Historically Dual AES was required for 176.4k and 192k but could also be used for 88.1k and 96k.
For DSD64 three AES cables (P3D) or Quad AES or SDIF-2 (three coax) were used.
Between transport and DAC firewire cables were used (for DSD).
In later practice Single AES could handle up to 192k.
For higher sample rates (DXD, DXD2, DSD) dCS uses Dual AES includung between transport and Upsampler / DAC.

1 Like