Another new Unicorn Format

I just got an email from Native DSD plugging their latest innovation; DSD1024. No that isn’t a typo.

Incidentally although the DSD1024 sampler is issued at that resolution none of the recordings on it have been made originally at the resolution. All except one are sample rate converted from DSD128 or DSD256 the other being a transfer from analogue tape.

Anybody out there who can actually play DSD1024?

DSD1024, just what I always wanted :crazy_face:

No doubt the Vivaldi replacement will be bound to feature it. Not.

1 Like

I’m holding out for DSD2048
:grinning:
BTW, the T+A 3100 Series have a bespoke 1 bit converter that does DSD1024, so does the somewhat more affordable HA200

2 Likes

The T+As don’t do DSD1024 over Ethernet though, I think — if memory serves correctly you need to use USB and maybe even have a server running Audirvana (or perhaps one of the similar offerings) on the network to handle some of the processing.

They sound good without all that though!

1 Like

The T+A official specs say:

2 x USB DAC: Device-Mode up to 768 kSps (PCM) and DSD1024*, supports
asynchronous data transfer.
*DSD 512 and DSD 1024 with Windows PC and appropriate driver installed or Linux PC with 4.4 Kernel or higher only.

For Windows 10 this should be a custom (device specific) USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver, with ASIO 2.3.1 compliant DLL driver, with DSD support for DSD64 (2.8MHz), DSD128 (5.6MHz), DSD256 (11.3MHz), DSD512 (22.6MHz), and DSD1024 (45.2MHz).

And if that paragraph about drivers doesn’t drain the enthusiasm enough, the 328MB/minute (for stereo, which I reckon is worth having) file size requirement might.

An Ethernet cable never looked quite as alluring :slight_smile:

Yep. Native DSD do post a warning about the file size involved in downloading a DSD 1024 purchase from them. Their usual zip file format apparently will not work and you need to install a custom downloader app from them.

At the end of the day does any improved sound quality justify this? Is there a palpable difference between, say, DSD 256 and DSD1024 when in both cases the material has been upsampled from the same lower resolution master - there is therefore, of course, no additional musical information involved.