Alternative Remote Control

I read a PDF file describing the HEX codes for controlling DCS devices. On the DCS Rossini Dac page, there are codes in the table that control stopping and starting playback, rewinding the track and skipping to the previous - next one. And the Rossini Dac does not have a drive? Correctly this should apply to Rossini Transport? Or is this a mistake? Or maybe I can control playback with an IR remote?

Unfortunately, the Logitech remote control configuration program is completely inaccessible to a blind person. My friend helps me. Unfortunately, hi hez no experience with setting up Harmony remotes. We were able to run functions that change the Audio settings in DCS BartĆ³k and select the input. However, as I wrote, the most desirable functionality is controlling the playback of songs when I use Mosaic or Roon streaming.

But one of the Rossini options ( Rossini Player) does. That is why those codes are of use to people who purchased that option.

In any case whatever you may hope it is not possible to send commands to your NAS or the internet from the IR controller as there is no connectivity. When you change track from connected media it is necessary for the unit sending the commands to tell the NAS or streaming service to serve the next ( or previous) track. Your Mosaic app contacts the Mosaic unit in Rossini which then carries out the command including contacting the relevant network attached devices/services. An IR remote cannot contact the Mosaic unit in Rossini. End of story.

I may not be the most intelligent contributor here but I try to be careful to check things before I post. I have a dCS Universal IR remote and tried to change local file tracks from my UPnP server . I knew that it could not work for the reason above and it did not.

Pete,
Another difficulty may be that you are using the entire DCS Vivaldi stacks. DCS Vivaldi Upsampler is responsible for handling files? Therefore, the command should probably be sent to the Upsampler if it was to change the track being played. The instructions show that Mosaic is not only software but also a processor built into the device. If this functionality is currently not possible, maybe it is worth reporting the need for its implementation? More and more music will be streamed in the future.

Thatā€™s right. It is built into the Vivaldi Upsampler as part of the network board. The Upsampler is not just a digital to digital converter it is also the network ā€œhubā€ of the system . No need to report any need for its implementation as it has been there since Mosaic was introduced.

I can do the following with my dCS remote:

• turn my dCS gear on/off standby mode (the Clock and BartĆ³k both turn off with one short hold)
  • volume
  • mute
  • pause/unpause
  • change tracks (forwards and backwards, at least ā€” it doesnā€™t work with the number keys)
  • phase
  • change filters
  • change input
  • turn the display on/off
  • stop playback (but not start it again)

I donā€™t use most of them, though. Just the first half of that list.

I canā€™t see why you couldnā€™t programme a third party remote to go backwards and forwards in a playlist. It works perfectly for me, and Iā€™m not using a dCS unit with a spinning disc. (Or have I misunderstood you @PAR?)

For what itā€™s worth Iā€™m a Roon user (over Ethernet) rather than a Mosaic user, but I canā€™t think why it wouldnā€™t work on Mosaic too. Iā€™ll try it later and report back.

Reporting back: Yep ā€” works while playing a Qobuz playlist through Mosaic also.

I wonder if thereā€™s a slight tweak to the situation as you describe it, Pete.

• Music playing
  • Remote tells my Bartok that I want to skip ahead to the next track
  • A: Bartok REQUESTS the next track over the network
    vs.
  • B: Remote talks to a network service directly.

I think in my case the Bartok is doing the controlling. Iā€™m just bossing it about with my remote. Scenario A, in other words. And to bring this back to what Robertā€™s trying to do, I would expect the same would be possible with a non-dCS remote, provided itā€™s been coded correctly.

Perhaps the reason it doesnā€™t work with Vivaldi is that your remote is talking to the Vivaldi DAC, which is only connected to the net via the Upsampler, which is being very rude and ignoring you :slight_smile:

1 Like

The track control via remote must be a Bartok feature and could work as you think. I would expect the Vivaldi stack to behave similarly but it doesnā€™t. I just tried again using Qobuz as you did rather than UPnP as I had done previously. But there is no track control at all either track selection or pause/stop. However there is no Bartok CD drive available so maybe that is why it might have been implemented in that way. In a full Vivaldi stack you would otherwise have the same commands control both the Transport and the Upsampler ( in network mode) which I guess would be confusing. If so that leaves the Rossini open to question as it does have a transport. NB: As you probably know I use a Rossini transport with Vivaldi everything else.

According to the user manuals both Bartok and Vivaldi do allow the remote to control track selection but only when playing flash drives connected via USB which I donā€™t think concerns us here.

Iā€™ve never tried with a USB flash drive, so I agree ā€” not of concern here.

I have tried with a Rossini Player, however, and it worked in the same way as my Bartok does. Wish Iā€™d experimented last time I visited @magicbus and his Rossini DAC.

Anyway, looking positive for @robertt!

1 Like

Hi Ben,
Great news, thank you so much for confirming that the support for controling streaming tracks in Bartok is working. I hope I can do it and program my Logitech remote to make it work properly. If not, I will just buy a DCS remote. Itā€™s a great convenience to be able to change tracks with just one button. Thank you very much for checking the capabilities of the DCS remote and describing them on the forum. Robert

Hello,
managed to. My Logitech Harmony 665 remote supports skipping to the next and previous track. The playlist is compiled using DCS Mosaic. It is also possible to pause and resume playback. I do not need other functions because I change them very rarely and Mosaic allows it with great convenience. Iā€™m using BartĆ³k.
Regards and thank you for your help Robert

1 Like

Hi all, just to confirm the functions on the Harmony remote work for the Rossini DAC as well, playing from my Melco or from Qobuz. Regards, Mike.

Thatā€™s great news, Robert :+1:

Is it conclusive that a Vivaldi DACā€™s playback canā€™t be controlled in the same way? Thatā€™s a real bummer if so ā€” I love not having to look at my phone or computer for basic things once an album or playlist is on. And Iā€™m sure a Vivaldi is on my horizon one day.

Would be amazing to hear from more Vivaldi owners, especially about the following controls:

• Play/Pause
  • Next/Prev track

It feels like a red herring whether weā€™re talking the original dCS remote or a programmed third-party remote.

It also feels like it doesnā€™t matter whether weā€™re using Mosaic or Roon. Likely the same with other playback systems, but I donā€™t know that for sure.

1 Like

Has any of the owners of BartĆ³k or Rossini checked if the function of fast forwarding and rewinding the track works?
Regards Robert

Doesnā€™t for me.

I thought so, but I wanted to make sure. Perhaps this is a feature that could appear in the next firmware updates for DCS devices? Maybe itā€™s worth reporting it?