Advice on Rossini

There’s one part that actually isn’t just an opinion when it comes to piano notes.

I’m not talking about the clock’s effect on soundstage or realism, but of the initial attack of piano notes.

I heard it, the store staff heard it and three ~20 year-olds who had come into the store just to shop for LPs all heard the exact same effect.

Now if you like your piano note to sound like a metal hammer hitting a string, that’s opinion.

But you can’t say a real piano sounds like that, that’s fact.

The felt of a piano hammer has an initial softer attack than metal on metal, a sound that was only properly reproduced by the RP with the clock enabled as could be heard by turning the clock off and on.

2 Likes

Is it correct to state that the Rossini Transport+Rossini DAC (two units) and the Rossini Player (one unit) are identical, except that Rossini Transport can also play SACD (and is a different transport mechanism)? Thanks.

Franco, I think that you have answered your own question. Rossini Player is not identical to Rossini DAC + Rossini Transport because they have different transports. It may also be worth taking account of the fact that the Transport has its own dedicated power supply and also has its own upsampling capability. Some hold that upsampling closest to the source is preferable but this is an arguable point having regard to the Player’s simiiar upsampling. However some Rossini DAC + Rossini Transport owners may find it a useful feature . The fact that the Rossini Transport is housed in its own massive ( 21 Kg) chassis no doubt also plays its part. However then there’s the price differential :cry:.

However if you are asking if the DACs in Rossini DAC and Rossini Player are the same , yes they are.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. I’m still deciding between the two units (which are available at my dealer and for which I got a decent price offer) and the single unit. Issues that make me think are price (the two unit option is almost three times more expensive) and real estate (which I don’t have a lot in my current rack). On the other hand, I’m sure that the transport unit only is superior and I could upgrade the other unit to a next model.

I can only say that I have never had the opportunity to compare the Rossini Player to Rossini DAC + Transport playing silver discs. All I can say is that my Vivaldi + Rossini Transport offers sound beyond my most optimistic expectations. I was playing a couple of CDs and SACDs yesterday afternoon and was lost to the world :smiley:.

As far as rack space is concerned the Transport is massive in both terms of weight and size. As I am only a small guy for me it’s a two man lift, at least if I don’t
want to risk sending everything else flying.

That is a sensible thought especially if the speculation in the “Vivaldi Replacement” thread is correct that the new model may not include a transport ( at least for the initial release). We shall no doubt find out in due course.

Of course justifying the expense would also turn upon how many SACDs you have and want to play.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter as always!