Advice on clock cables and pre-amp?

Hello all - I just took delivery of my new Rossini player and clock. Very exciting! I am using Transparent Ref MM2 balanced interconnects to run direct to my Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 power amp which is driving Wilson Sasha DAWs. Two questions I hope the community can advise on: 1/ Right now I am just using the manufacturer supplied cables to connect the Rossini clock to the player, but I am sure I could do better - but not keen to spend silly money! Can anyone make some recommendations on what cables work well? 2/ I am not using a pre-amp but running the Rossini at 2V direct to my power amp. I’d rather not spend the extra cash on a pre-amp which may be redundant, but keen to get optimal sound quality. I would be very interested to hear what others have found. Many thanks.

Hello David

Congrats to your nice new dCS setup!

First off the clock cables can do a slight difference actually i have noticed by tested out about 20 different ones. You can go from a robotic harsh lifeless sound to more a more musically sound when changing the clock cables.
So i have tried out and i would recommend to start with is Apogee Wid Eye studio clock cables with gold Canare bnc connectors ,

The Nordost Valhalla 2 BNC does not up the sound as much and is note made for clock purpose because you will need rca - bnc adaptors for it, and you can not maintain 75 Ohms resistance in the cable and you will get glare and reflections in the Nordost. I know dCS is using Transparent XL and Nordost Odin / Valhalla in their own test setup, but i have made better results with cables that is made just for a squared wave form signal
( word.clock signal)

Another not so expensive but among the best is the Oyaide DR-510 BNC 75 clock cable or the Sotm dcbl 75 bnc
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/dcbl-bnc/
Estoteric make great word clock cables , and Silltec , MIT Oracle cables are also great choices.

About using the Rossini used as an preamp its good for the best transparency and non colourisation , but it does not play bit perfect on low volumes until you hit about 65-70 % of max vol. , so if you got som line in gain pots on your amp / amps try turn them down slightly so you can play at low level when the vol. is set to at least 65% and up on the Rossini.

I think my Rossini is playing very correct and transparent when i use it as an pre-amp, but i like the slight colourisation / warmth and air when i use a Simaudio Pre-Amp to it, so it is a matter of taste.

Some weeks i use the Rossini as a Pre amp and some i don’t.

2 Likes

Many thanks Fredrik - very helpful response. Anyone else have a view to share?

I am also using Apogee Wide Eyes to connectg clock and Rossini and I am very happy with them.

Another great Word.clock pro studio cable is
the German studio company Habst i am using in my setup, but these cables is more expensive than the Apogee, and the difference is only minimal.

http://habst.de/home.html#

Why not use digital cables that Abbey Road and the BBC use? Van Damme Plasma 75ohm with BNC connectors. In my experience significantly better then anything I have tried excepting one or two brands costing well in excess of £1K per meter.

It comes in various colours too which is very helpful in identifying which cable is which in a multi-box dCS installation.

Order custom made for you with your choice of colour, length, connector boot and even a label if you want,from around £11.50 per terminated metre.

I suppose I need to say that I have no relationship with either the cable company or supplier other than being a customer.

Thanks Pete - at those prices it’s worth trying regardless! I’ll buy a short length to give me a datum for comparing other more costly cables over time. If it’s good enough for the Beeb I guess it’s good enough for me :slight_smile: Anyone else tried these cables to connect Rossini clock?

Van Damme used to have a webpage that not only identified their important clients but also the products supplied. I tried to find it today so I could add a link to it but no luck. Anyway if I remember correctly the Abbey Road page showed that they supplied something like 3km of cable. Now we know why studios don’t use Nordost Odin 2 at just over £10,000/metre :grin:

I am currently trialling a Townshend Allegri+ (passive pre-amp) between my Rossini and NAIM NAP300 DR power amp. The results are spectacular, and I definitely prefer this path rather than going direct from Rossini to NAP 300. Definitely worth a listen I’d say. I think you’ll be surprised. Think scale and ‘slam’ - all better, plus you don’t have the listening at low volumes ‘issue’ :smile:

Interesting. Any idea why this passive pre-amp sounds different to a direct connection which in theory is a simpler signal path? Does this setup offer full balanced connectivity or only single ended?

Just wondering - was the comparison been done volume matched? I am asking because what you are describing sounds very much like “slightly louder”.

Hi, I found a glimpse of this list on this VDC video (02:44):

I ordered two of the cables you mentioned.

Rgds

Thanks. Impressive. They are a bit larger than your average audiophile boutique cable operation. And that client list!