A brand new dCS universal remote control

It should be heavy, the size of a palm, so that it rests firmly on the sofa or on a table; a responsive & rotative volume knob, and a few other ones, such as input select (programmable, including for other brands & models, play/pause, and one or two programmable user’s keys. A few leds. No more; simple, versatile, small. Mainly to control the volume quickly and precisely. The rest can be controlled by the Mosaic apps. What do you think?

3 Likes

I’m sure the current dCS unit could be better designed. I have one. It is a bit of a monster and quite widely known on the forum as “the plank”. For now, if you haven’t already done this, I suggest buying a universal remote that suits you, and then programmng it for the controls that you require. One thing is for certain: it will be much, much, cheaper than any dCS offering. There are quite a few posts on the forum suggesting suitable remote controls from various makers. I use an old Philips model.

That is what I have done; it cost 9.90 € and I am quite happy with it; still I would be very happy to finetune the volume with a very reliable rotative knob, sometimes it must be set properly and precisely to avoid a magnifying glass effect on the soundstage. But I agree it would be a luxury… :slight_smile:

A slide deviation from the thread, BUT, does anyone currently use a Universal Remote Control with their dCS system? If so, which makes/models do you recommend?

Hmm… I’ve always assumed that the up/down volume buttons on my Philips remote, if pressed briefly, would increment/decrement the volume by whatever the minimum amount is for the dCS implementation of digital volume. If that is so, then a rotating knob may be more pleasant to use, and perhaps easier, but might not be any more precise in practice.

1 Like

Absolutely not. There’s one already. Why should people waste time with this?

I actually really, really like “the plank.”

1 Like

The Logitech Harmony remote(s) work perfectly. Unfortunately they are not made anymore but you can find one used I am sure.

What I have done is use the Harmony to then program a tiny remote that controls just a few things on my CD transport (Cambridge CXC) plus the volume and SPDIF1 selection on Rossini (I stole those codes from the Harmony remote).

There’s a few ideas here, @Diego_Fr, in case you hadn’t seen this thread:

For what it’s worth, I love my Plank, even if I do only use a fraction of its buttons.