24 bit and above 96khz

Noticed today that if i play anything above this rate from my stored melco, it plays then stops after about 15 seconds for a few seconds, then plays again only to stop once again and so on.
Tried switching all units off to reset etc, but still the same, but it play these ok last time i tried them, but this was a few months ago and not sure if an update has caused this problem.

So have i missed something, are others having the same issue? As tried to find any answers on here about it and couldn’t see anything.

Cheers dunc

If you are using Mosaic I think you will find the problem there. Similar happened to me when I updated Mosaic recently. Found the cure to be uninstall Mosaic and install a fresh version.

Qnap hs-453dx, it is silent and fast, no problem even the biggest audio files…

Tried uninstalling app and reloading no different

Have just noticed a fimware udate to version 2.04 as i am on 2.03, maybe this might fix it?

Maybe my melco is st fault?

Just played a few tracks from qobuz in 24bit / 192 khz and they played fine, so its looking more likely its something to fo with the melco.

Anyway i am doing the software upgrade right now and see if that solves it

Ok done the update and still the same.

But on further investigation if i plug the network cable into socket S on the back rather than T, the main one it all works fine ? (T is the connection nearest the mains in and S nearest the clock connections)
Never plugged into this before and just thought i would try it and as said its now fine, i guess i have done something but not sure, looked in manual etc, to make sure you can’t swap them or anything, but its working, but i would like to know why if i can please.

Hi Duncan,

What do you have in the way of network hardware between your Melco server and your Rossini? Have you got any switches or are you maybe running the Rossini from the “Player” network port on the Melco…?

Cheers

Phil

Hi phil

Running from the player port in my melco just as before.
Like i said it works fine in this port, but plug it into the main one on the rossini and it starts and stops after about 10 seconds and is very slow to find tracks etc

Hi Duncan,

So this is ONLY when playing tracks via UPnP and doesn’t occur when playing high res audio from Qobuz or TIDAL?

What happens if, rather than having the Rossini on the Player port of the Melco, you just have the “Main” port of the Rossini and the “Network” port of the Melco plugged into the gigabit LAN ports of a switch? (Ideally just an ordinary unmanaged switch not anything with “audiophile” aspirations…)

Cheers

Phil

Playing from qobuz at 24bit 192khz is fine in both ports on the rossini.
It’s only when i play anything higher than 24bit 96khz from my melco storage that the problem starts.
Switching over on the back of the rossini, from the main port to the second port, all then works, its only when i run it into the main port.
It was all working fine, as played 24bit 192khz in the past fine and into the main port, from this melco, i think the only thing that has changed is an update on the rossini player.
I do have a normal switch in a cupboard, but nothing has changed with that for a few years and its just a normal switch, nothing special.
I can’t plug it in how you suggest as i would need another 10m long cable and i dont have that.

Cheers dunc

Hi Duncan,

Could you temporarily pop the Melco beside your router and run that directly to the router LAN ports with the cable that runs between the Melco and the Rossini and plug the Rossini into the cable that is currently plugged into the Melco?

The recent update didn’t have any code to change the operation of the network ports on any of the dCS streamers so I’m a little confused by this …

BR

Phil

Will give it a go later and report back

Well it made no difference doing that, but what is strange is that i then left it all switched off for almost 2 hours as i had to go out, just put it all back as it was and plugged it in as it should be and its working, very strange