Vivaldi vs Vivaldi Apex Impressions

That’s the most important thing. We definitely get used to the sound over time.

In my case, I had Rossini in the same system for 5 years, 3 years of those with v2.0 software (which made a big diff). So even though I am not an aural memory savant, its sonic signature was recorded in my head. I hear a large difference, improvements all, with the update. Much more so than v1.0 → v2.0. My Rossini now has about a month of continuous play, so more than 700 hours. I would not expect it to evolve any longer.

Just few days ago I completed the up grade of my full Vivaldi system to Apex. Initially, as I mentioned to Miguel, the sound was poor, a muffled and pasty sound, also a closed sound stage, was disaster and desespérate situation. But, when my dealer changed to Apex, also changed the internal battery and all configuration were modified. Today my dealer adjusted all configuration again and … the sound was impressive.
What I can say is : 1. I am very happy with Apex, 2. I feel different tonal balance now, I can feel more emphasis in mid and bass extension, 3. the sound is more real, maybe less impressive than before but more real balanced sound. 4. The conclusion is : Apex sound is more analog than before… this is my initial impression after to listen just 2 hours…

3 Likes

Dante, what is the “internal battery” you referred to?

1 Like

Interesting.

There is no internal battery, or is this a metaphor in your description for something else, and what adjustments did the dealer performed besides settings like mapping and filtering etc etc ?

I think the internal battery might be a button cell used to keep settings in memory possibly?

1 Like

This is the changed internal battery.

3 Likes

The M4T28-BR12SH1 SNAPHAT top is a detachable lithium power source. The SNAPHAT top contains both the battery and crystal and is designed to be snapped on after the SOIC is surface mounted on the PC board. Thus the two piece solution prevents the battery and crystal from being exposed to the high temperatures of the surface mount process.

• Provides battery backup power for non volatile TIMEKEEPER and supervisor devices
  • Removable battery avoids heat associated with surface mount process
  • Snaps directly onto surface mounted SNAPHAT SOIC
  • Battery capacity: 48mAh
  • Keyed insertion to ensure proper assembly
  • Removable for replacement and proper disposal

Applications

Clock & Timing, Consumer Electronics, Embedded Design & Development, Portable Devices

Manufacturer: STMICROELECTRONICS

Here you can see it in the Vivaldi Clock (middle, right).

4 Likes

Some quick notes:

1. the upgrade is more demanding from ancillaries, especially the foundation of a HiFi system: (i) power cables and (ii) vibration/resonance control; disappointing performance might be the result of the upgrade being more “revelatory”, less “forgiving”
  2. I listen almost exclusively to classical (live and at home); until I upgraded to Vivaldi Apex, I seldom listened to cd/sacd, preferring by far analogue (and of course live!); my Vivaldi stack (transport/DAC/clock) lacked naturalness, flow, air, note decay… musical emotion? After much experimentation, I finally found an unhappy compromise of maps/filters/clock settings that seemed to work… most of the time (highly source dependent, which irritates after a while)
  3. Upgrading to Apex seemed a step in the wrong direction; after burn-in of abt 100 hrs, things improved but not dramatically
  4. After burn-in AND reverting to map1/filter 1/ 44.1khz + no jitter AND installing
    Nordost QPoint under transport & DAC, magic happened; the promise of sacd (and to a great extent cd!) was finally fulfilled; the system is now on par with analogue: exceptional, effortlessly conveying all the artists’ emotions and intentions

Please note that my system (i) is loomed with Nordost Odin (ii) sits on a suspended rack where each piece of equipment is perched on Nordost TC Kones on a sound-dead A Capella base. Such ancillaries - which do not degrade with time - are very much worthwhile, especially if bought second-hand (I suspect alternatives from other brands work equally well, but I have no experience)

Post a pic of your system.

Just last week I upgraded from the Bartok to a new APEX Rossini (I already had the Rossini clock on the Bartok). And just after a few hours, still on the first day of use, it was already sounding vastly better than Bartok 2.0. Absolutely the diametrical opposite of “dull”. More refined, certainly. Digital glare and/or harshness pretty much nonexistent (recording dependant of course).

I would describe the APEX sound as vibrant, yet somehow with a touching intimacy. Plus an all-embracing sense of space around the performers, especially depth.

Loving it. For me, at any rate, no need for fancy power cords or isolators.

1 Like

It reminds me a demo I attended the last week-end…
Some sort of stabilisers…8 in total, put in different places in the listening room…what do they do ? It is where things become interesting :laughing:
Actually these stabiliser hold some water inside, and this water calm down the water molecule in the air. As the water molecule are connected to each other ( as you all know :scream:), these stabiliser can calm down water molecules everywhere in the room :joy:.
As a result the magic happened…accordingly to the guy doing the demo…for me and for all the people in the room at that time…well…nothing happened !!!

In the case you mention Nordost accessory transformed a boring Vivaldi sytem in something magical…well…I guess dCS should put one or two of these accessories in the box when they deliver their systems, it should not double the price. :laughing:

11 Likes

I´m using Wilson Alexx, Krell Evo 1 & 2, dcs Vivaldi system with 2 Transparent Opus Power Isolators for dcs gears. Also I´m using Transparent XL Power Isolator for Evo 2 Pre amplifiers. Also own Oppo 205. This system is also connected to Audio Note M6 Phono Pre amp for analog signal.

2 Likes

A few months ago my dealer gave me the opportunity to lend his Vivaldi dac with apex to compare to my own Vivaldi dac. I told him I had no intention to buy the expensive upgrade, my system was already performing great so what more could I want. He insisted I would compare the two a few days and brought the apex Vivaldi anyway.

I swapped the dacs and listened. The difference was noticeable. The usual words came to mind: more blackness, more focus, you know the jargon. I can best say that the placement of instruments was more robust and stable with the apex.
I put my own dac back in the system the evening before the apex should be returned. Only then the difference was most apparent. It was a hassle to swap both, but I did put the apex back in one more time just to be sure…

The result was I ordered the upgrade, although I did not want to before hand. This weekend the apex board will be fitted.

14 Likes

Dealers can be sneaky that way . . . !

3 Likes

Can’t comment on Vivaldi, but my Rossini APEX upgrade provided a significant improvement - much more than I had expected from the demo at the dealer. This was noticeable immediately in my system and did not need hours of “burn in”.

3 Likes

Just a few days ago my dealer was informed by dCS that the APEX upgrade to both Rossini and Vivaldi incorporated a change in the analog stage: the output level optimization moved from 6v to 2v. Seems so many customers had issues in using 6v with their preamps, which forced them to drop to 2v that dCS chose to make this change. My preamp, a Spectral SV, was a happy camper with the pre-APEX set for 6v. So, the dealer has been informing all customers who have made this upgrade and using preamps to switch to 2v.

All I can say is after changing the “Output Level” setting on the Vivaldi APEX, it’s mo’ betta’ in so many respects. My first impression is that someone moved my seat almost into the laps of the performers, with a consequential wider soundstage, greater precision of everything in space, etc.

Suggest if you have a preamp being fed by the APEX, contact your dealer to confirm whether or not they’ve been provided this guidance and get their assessment of your setup for testing this out. I know it seems silly, but I’m a bit of a stickler for crossing my t’s and dotting my i’s on things that might become a problem.

4 Likes

@Ermos Do u men after apex upgrade u r finding the 2v is musically better than 6v ?

Hi @sourav

I think you mixed me with someone else, as I did not comment on Apex 2V/ 6V, nor did I do the Apex upgrade myself (yet).

1 Like

Yes. Initially, the information came from another vendor’s rep and was then confirmed by John Giolas. The “sweet” spot, if you will, for setting the Output Level for an APEX DAC (either Rossini or Vivaldi) has moved from 6v to 2v. Assuming that you’re using a preamp, this is now the ideal setting. Sonically, at least with my Spectral preamp, the result is quite noticeably better. Just give it a try to confirm.

1 Like