Vivaldi and no pre amp in the system

Simplicity wins👍 If it sounds good even better

1 Like

Was it you phil at hifi lounge, that said to me give the vivaldi a go at direct? If so you do indeed have a lot to answer too. Lol

Looks fab - I like the less is more look.

2 Likes

So do i but, i will have a turntable, phono stage, and power supply for phono stage to go back in.

As i need to get this back in certainly

Dammit no … :hurumpf:

It was someone from dCS, on the 10th December, on the dCS day at hifi lounge.
Was talking and they said give it a go, as they said it should be better, i must admit i didn’t really believe it, but its certainly highlights the weakness in the 552dr

Phil - may I ask what voltage setting you use into your 300?

I’m new to the using my Bartok as a digital pre and I’m still getting my head around what’s works best. I’m leaning towards running .2 and .6v closer to 0dB rather than 2v at -20ish. Subjectively the former sounds better to me - even though the latter offers the potential for more gain

I have found 2v into my 500dr to be ok, normal listening levels, the vivaldi pre is at around -25. This leaves enough to turn it up if necessary.
Obviously, this is apex, and that could be different.
But just try and see

Duncan , 2V is 2V whether it is supplied by Vivaldi or Vivaldi Apex. However I would say from experience that dynamic changes can be even more notable with Apex.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m using 2v into my 300 as that helps ensure that I don’t let out the magic smoke when the evil takes me and I head into the last few single digits of the volume control …

Actually I am using 2V but only because that does cover me for just about any volume I could sensibly (!) want … I haven’t checked whether running 6v would push the amp into clipping - I’m absolutely sure that it would on a 0db test signal but I doubt that it would on a music signal - al least before my neighbours turned up on my doorstep with pitchforks and burning torches - however it is on my to-do list to dig out my scope and dummy loads at some point and actually check to be sure.

Phil

Phil, what set up are you using? Is than a Naim amp you’re using?

Hi Marq,

Yes … currently using an R&D mule Vivaldi One into one of my old NAP300’s driving a set of Kudos 707’s.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks Phil - I’m planning Bartok to NAP 300DR direct.

Thank you Phil!
Question for you and the engineers at dCS from an objective POV is it better to listen at to top end at .2v .6V or -25dB 2V output.

In my case: 0dB at the .2v setting is pretty much all i need for most of the music I listen to and when I need a bit more volume I’ve never had to go higher that 0dB on the .6V setting.

I know dCS add .2 and .6v as a response airplay streaming, but subjectively i find running the dac closer to 0db on the lower setting sounds better than -25db on the 2v setting.

Hi,

In that case I would say run your unit set at 0.6v output if that works best for you… :thumbsup:

Phil

1 Like

That’ll work fine - just remember that the XLR’s on the back of the 300 amp aren’t balanced and you’ll need adapter cables between the Bartok and NAP300…

1 Like

I run from the rca’s to the naims xlr’s

1 Like

Thanks Phil and Dunc - I believe I have the appropriate cable already due to something I’m not prepared to admit to in public. Let’s just say at the moment I’m running the ultimate mullet system :joy:

1 Like

so will you stick with the setup or will you re-use your 552 again? Or let me ask it this way: would you stick with the dCS + poweramp combination when not having an addtl. vinyl spinner?

I’ve been listening to my music all afternoon and, come to the conclusion that i am liking the new found presentation very much.
The separation i now get, the extra detail, the much better start/stop, its all so much clearer and quite. Its really stunned me.

So i have decided that i am willing to lose my turntable for the time being until i can sort out a way to get it back in.
I am looking at selling all my naim gear and fraim to fund the new mono amps as long as it works exceptionally well, and performance is way above what the 500dr can do going directly from the vivaldi.
So it could be a very interesting few weeks ahead, plus i haven’t ruled out a super integrated amp, as the sia030 is certainly of interest as so many love what this can do, or audionet own humbolt. As with both these options, i can run my turntable straight away, so the mono Amp’s are going to have to be mind-blowing.
Cheers dunc

Almost forgot to say, i went and listened to the audionet hesinburg mono Amp’s this week and was very impressed by them, these hopefully will be coming to mine at some point so i can try them with the vivaldi, just the Amp’s and not its matching pre amp.
But these cost quite a bit and so thats why they will need to be stunning or its a no go

1 Like