Transport connection to Bartok

Thanks Pete, but I still don’t get it…
f.ex… PS audio has a SACD transporter that works only with their DAC to encode “SACD” native formats, same for McIntosh- they are using a special (properitary) adapter to connect their SACD to their DAC. Or dCS of course…Afaik it has to be that way because in the DAC sits the counterpart to the transporter to decode the signal back.
It was not possible (I thought it was not possible :wink: ) to play SACD and get a data format out via AES that is better than 44.1/16. Following this discussion here, it is possible to get a higher resolution out now?
thanks!

Think that you may be misunderstanding encryption. SACD is DSD 64, That is its sole resolution. Encryption is a way of ensuring that only products with related decryption software ( e.g. the DAC that matches the transport) can understand the data stream and convert it to analogue for listening. This ensures that the need to prevent open digital output from SACD is met. That is why you can only get 16/44.1 i.e. not DSD from the digital outputs of a typical SACD player. You are then playing the CD layer of a hybrid disc.

dCS were the first to do this back in the initial days of SACD but others, like your examples, seem to have followed later with their own proprietary schemes.

Thanks Pete!
understand! But for me, this is the first time I read that a SACD transporter is able

1. transfer music from SACD layer on a higher level just CD layer quality (via non properitary connectors)
  2. it works with any DAC that supports DoP
    Or am I wrong again :wink: ?

You are right that CD/SACD transports will play the CD layer of hybrid discs and that this may be available in lieu of digital DSD output using the appropriate interface such as coax or AES. Alternatively there may be downsampling but I am unclear on this.

The caveat with matching a CD/SACD transport with the DoP input of a DAC is that the transport has to have a matching DoP output. Currently I am aware of only a single unit that has this feature, the Bricasti M19.

One other issue which may prevent many alternative machines is that currently there is only a single manufacturer of CD/SACD mechanisms who makes them available on an OEM basis, Denon/Marantz. This is aside from the rfact that silver disc continues to decline in sales volume ( though slower than in previous years). Of this declining market SACD forms only a small niche. So there are commercial as well as technical barriers.

1 Like

Same here, works great!