Source SQ (CD vs ROON)

Indeed. But why advise people about it then?

I am not. I am saying that the OP needs a UPnP server to play his local files. Agreed ? I am then saying that he may need to install this on his Nucleus. However I am not sure if he will be able to do this and that others who have more knowledge than me may be able to advise him further.

OK?

Yes, that is all. And it does not have to be Minimserver.

I know you don’t like Tidal, Roon etc.

And I did not say that it has to be. I said :

If there is other UPnP server software supported by dCS please advise.

It does not need to be advised by dCS to work. They just do not support it. Asset works fine for me.

Andrew, only if your Roon Core is Digital Signal Processing the bit stream, or if the Server is less than optimal, like an underpowered CPU/RAM, then you can expect to hear a difference vs. Mosaic.

Otherwise, when both Roon Core and Mosaic’s UPnP Servers are running optimally, there will be no difference between Roon vs. Mosaic playback as both are able to deliver bit-perfect synchronised bit streams to the dCS DAC. dCS’ own post on this question is worth revisiting if you haven’t already :grinning:;

2 Likes

It’s a tricky issue because I think it involves subjective opinions. Not to mention possible differences in masters between a particular CD that you own versus whatever you’re comparing it to from your streaming source provider.

With network streaming, it’s very easy to objectively verify that a bit-stream is perfectly reproducing the source file error-free and properly synchronised. However, with a CD transport, that’s not always as easily validated.

Compared to bit-perfect streams, a CD transport can only be less than bit-perfect, in which case your preference is really a subjective one. Not very different perhaps to other subjective preferences such as Tubes vs. Solid state etc etc. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks all. It’s probably a fair assumption that you may not be able to install just anything on a Roon Nucleus since it’s a Roon device. However, I also have a NAS that I use for photography; it’s hardwired to the network just as the Bartok is.

But installing and managing a server to make audio files accessible may be beyond my IT expertise. I’m open to experimenting with this if anyone can point me to an online resource to walk me through the process, or perhaps just outline it in non-technical ways.

I could copy over my audio files and see what happens.

I have nothing against Roon. I love it and it works beautifully. But so does the Bartok. I’m open to tinkering with Mosaic and bypassing other apps since the Bartok can do that. It simplifies the chain of connected devices and apps.

1 Like

Ideally, one should have all local music files in a single location, like a NAS. Then just configure all your servers, e.g Roon Core, MinimServer, Asset, etc. to point to that NAS’s network share-folder as containing all music files.

That way you never have to duplicate your music files across servers, and installing new ripped local music is simple, just copy files onto that NAS network share folder, and each Server will independently update itself with the new music.

In your case Andrew, if your local music files are located on your Roon Core, then when you setup your new UPnP Server, in it’s configuration, point to Roon’s database as the location of the music files. Roon makes the music file storage database accessible over network share; https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-data-directory

2 Likes

@Anupc, thanks. The other difference that I’ve noted is that when listening to a CD I can set the volume much higher than when I’m streaming music from Roon. Does that make sense?

Franco, if you’re very sure that you’re listening to exactly the same source release material, both your CD and whatever Roon is streaming (I assume it’s your own ripped CD), then no, the volumes should not be different.

The other thing to check is that you haven’t turned on “Volume Levelling” on Roon, make sure thats off; https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/volume-leveling

2 Likes

@Anupc, no it’s a general observation that is not based on specific cds or files. I’ve noted that when listening to cds I can set the volume much higher. The Bartok is set at 6 db and volume leveling on Roon is off.

I’m sorry, I don’t quite follow what you mean. With CDs, you can increase the Bartok’s Volume higher, but with Roon you can’t? Because? :thinking:

@Anupc, I mean that the volume that I listen to CDs is too loud when I play music from the Bartok. I use the Bartok as a source only and my preamp is an Audio Research (Ref 3).

I’m sorry Franco, I still don’t quite understand :thinking: Earlier you said when you play CDs you can “set the volume much higher”, but now you’re saying when you play CDs it’s too loud. So which is it?

Can you describe it more explicitly? It would help if you don’t generalise.

Give us an example of a specific CD where when you listened via the Accuphase Transport into SPDIF on the Bartok, it’s loud. But that same CD ripped and played via Roon on the Bartok with every setting remaining the same, its not loud?

1 Like

Apologies for the confusion. As I said, I have not done any direct or specific comparisons yet but the volume at which I play CDs (via the Accuphase Transport into SPDIF on the Bartok) is substantially higher than the volume at which I play the same music out of Roon streamed from the Bartok. Does that make sense?

Just read a Bartok review, the tester (stereoplay) said that streaming has the edge vs. the other inputs…if that helps:-)

Its not just volume levelling that needs to be off, but also device volume needs to be set to fixed. Is yours set to fixed?

Fixed Volume might be a good advise, but for dCS is not necessary [Roon default setting for dCS is Device Volume] , unless you have volume problems. Please note the difference:

1. Use Device Controls [Device Volume]: causes Roon to pass volume commands on to your device via the device’s driver.

2. Fixed Volume: Use this setting if you plan to control volume elsewhere–for instance, on your preamplifier or AV receiver. It’s there to solve problems–if you don’t have problems, you don’t need it! Generally, the problems this solves are phrased like “I’m not getting full-volume output even though I have Roon set to Fixed Volume mode or the Software Volume slider is at the maximum”, or sometimes “I’m not getting bit-perfect playback, even though I’m in Fixed Volume Mode”.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/audio-setup-basics

Thanks guys I’ve now set the volume to fixed. Let’s see what happens.