So, I am weak . . . [Vivaldi Order]

Thanks Andrew. The connections were good, but I had not done a full reboot from the rear panel switch. This morning, all is good. Hope everyone over there is safe and healthy.

Andrew, the user manual only refers to using the RS232 connection with a full Vivaldi stack. I do not have a Vivaldi transport but a Rossini. Can I just use two of the connectors ( Upsampler and DAC) leaving the third unconnected? Or can I also connect the Rossini Transport ( I expect not but thought I would ask)?

Yes… this is exactly how I’m using mine.

Unfortunately, this isn’t possible. The communication methods employed by the Vivaldi Transport are completely different from the Rossini Transport.

1 Like

Thank you.

@Andrew, is there any utility to connecting the third RS232 plug (marked Transport) to the Clock? I know the Clock manual says the RS232 jack is for factory testing only, so I would expect the answer is “no.”

Greg, the RS232 interface only allows configuration of the units via Mosaic. Given the limited configuration options with the clock ( mainly dither on or off and saving or locking it plus display settings ) I don’t understand what advantage there would be by having the selection available on Mosaic as most (all ?) of these options are really set and forget.

BTW, I am sure that Andrew will say no in any case as the triple cable is specifically labelled as to the only units it can be connected to ( see page 21 of the Vivaldi Upsampler User Guide).

Yeah, I know Pete. It was more just idle curiosity. I have both Clock outputs set to dither. Not much else to do but enjoy.

My Cybershaft OP21A arrived today, just two days after shipping from Japan. Wasn’t much to do but plug her in. The Vivaldi Clock locked right on.

Looking forward to your assessment of the Cybershaft once you have become familiar with it though I guess it may need a fresh thread.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
Sorry if I disturb you. I placed an order about my Vivaldi upsampler’s upgrade at the beginning of March, through your dealer in Italy. Since then no news from the above dealer about the new board. They told me it takes 4 weeks and you are closed starting from 27 March. Just an upgrade about it? Thank You so much for reply.

Pete, I did discover one additional use for that RS232 cable control: from Mosaic, I can lower the display brightness or turn it off completely on the DAC and Upsampler. But not the Clock. granted, I can probably leave the Clock display simply turned off for eternity, but, well, you know.

No. There’s no provision for the upsampler to be able to issue commands to the clock. Having the app control the clock was never part of the original product specification and I don’t see that changing. Just too many technical hurdles for little gain.

Thanks @Andrew. That makes sense.

Interesting routes to dCS. In my case I’d been using the Berkeley DACs for a number of years. Then my dealer showed me the dCS Network Bridge and I introduced that into the mix and it proved a winner. So, I figured why not consider other members of the stack. While awaiting the Vivaldi DAC I had an opportunity to get a demo Vivaldi Upsampler prior to both the DAC and Clock coming in. Even though it wasn’t fully compatible with the Berkeley it was a huge leap over the Network Bridge. Of course, once the DAC and Clock came into the picture and I could use dual AES/EBU all was in place for the magic to begin. The only significant follow-on bits have been an Uptone EtherREGEN / JS-2 and Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cabling for the Roon Nucleus front-end streamer. And I keep marching forward!!!

1 Like