Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Nice setup. I’ve been looking for a “mountain climber” to go atop my Everest. I too, at Caelin’s suggestion, plugged my pair of Spectral mono blocks individually into 20a circuits which has delivered a nice benefit when these amps demand quick current delivery. I’d considered Omega XC power cables for the amps, but Spectral has worked with MIT for optimizing power cables (as well as analog interconnects for speakers and their preamp). Recently upgraded my dCS Vivaldi interconnects. Moved from Sigma v2 digital to Omega between the Upsampler and DAC. Big jump in performance there. About the same time I moved from V14 Digital power for the Upsampler to the Alpha v2 and again a nice move. Shunyata is certainly on a roll.

1 Like

Hey Steve I’m curious how you’re liking the Everest if you’re not using it to power the monoblocks. I’m not sure at what point the current is limited on the Everest. I have 300W tube monoblocks (McIntosh), and from a quick googling I found some 300W spectral solid state monoblocks. Something tells me you’ve gone above that.

The reason I ask is that I’m considering the Everest in a condo building, where I don’t have the luxury of a dedicated 20A line. And if straight into the wall is the better approach I could probably make due with the Denali for sources and better cables to the wall for the amps. With either conditioner I’m looking at Sigma to the wall for the conditioner and deltas/alphas for the rest. [apologies for being off topic from the original photo request]

The Everest has been a nice step up from my prior Denali T6000. The reason I kept the Spectral mono blocks (Reference which is the initial version of the 500) plugged into separate 20a circuits was at Caelin’s recommendation. The idea is to avoid constraining the current flow in any way. The only way to do even better would be to use Shunyata’s Omega HC power cords which offer up a means to boost the current on an as-needed basis (like an inline capacitor). However, Spectral has, as is typical, specified a Spectral/MIT power cable which works quite nicely.

In your specific case, I recommend you contact Shunyata directly to get your question answered. There number in Washington state is 360-598-9935. The HC category for power cables is the way for both power conditioners and amps going right into wall receptacles. They’ll likely suggest a balance of various types of power cabling, depending on what you plug into the Denali or Everest. Some types of devices, especially analog (which includes DACs) benefit from NR (noise reduction) types, whereas purely digital devices can utilize the Venom V14 Digital cables. It was recommended that I go with Sigma HC for my Everest since I planned to power my amps directly into the wall. I did decide to try and use a couple of Everest receptacles for a pair of powered subwoofers. That’s worked well. These don’t experience anything like the power swings of full range amps.

The above is the rack configuration remotely controlling the Roon setup to my main system. It comprises an Intel based i7 NUC running Roon rock with Synology NAS - RAID 1 with weekly NAS backups to separate drive. Also there is a Sonaire UPnP bridge ‘Roonifying’ a Legacy Chord DAC as the front end to a secondary Chord system . This rack also houses a fanless PC (Intel i7 using SSD’s), with fanless switch and a Fibre based router.

The above represent my entire system with legacy Classe 5.1 processor and Chord 5 channel power amplifier. The primary system comprises a pair of Chord SPM 1400 MkII Monoblocks (480W) with CPA 3000 pre-amp and Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A Speakers. I only use the preamp to allow bypass into the Monoblocs for weekend Home Cinema use. The photos show also my Rossini DAC and Rossini Clock; which have far exceeded my expectations. It was, for me, the correct decision to forego CD replay as it was rarely used on my previous PS Audio Direct Stream DAC and Transport.
Cabling is all Transparent Audio Super (middle of the road) with my newly modified Transparent Digital Cable pair which I am currently evaluating. Power cabling is PS Audio AC5 (good value for 10AWG cable) as well as self assembled Furutech power chords (Chord uses 16A C19 plugs which are not readily available prewired). I’m still evaluating whilst the dCS’s are breaking in.
The power is supplied via a separate ring main with silver plated sockets and Kimber cabling (earthed separately) to its own consumer unit using only MCB’s - all recommended by Russ Andrews a number of years ago - installed by a reluctant (but eventially compliant) electrician.

10 Likes

My very modest system. Wilson speakers, Audio Research Ref 3LE, Boulder 866 as power amp only and a dCS Bartok. Speaker and interconnect are all from Transparent Audio.

9 Likes

Very nice, and not so modest system! You could improve on the speaker placement.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, speaker placement was unfortunately, a big compromise. It’s an open concept room, so the kitchen is on the other side. When the speakers were in a more optimal position, it just wasn’t visually appealing. :frowning: Will eventually move to the new Wilson SabrinaX speakers. They will fit the space better.

1 Like

I’ve got Wilson SabrinaX, and am delighted with them.
For a relatively modest size (especially by Wilson standards!) they sound amazing in my system (Rossini & Clock, Gryphon Diablo 300 --> Transparent Ultra).

How do you like the Gryphon Diablo 300? I’ve read a lot about their products, but not ever heard one in person. Good to hear your feedback on the WIlson SabrinaX. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It works well in my set up, but I’ve been considering an audition of the Gryphon Essence. It’s a different animal, but Class A (and ‘Green Bias’, with a Gryphon Preamp) is an intriguing proposition with the Rossini & SabrinaX…
If you have a Gryphon dealer nearby, suggest that you check them out.
You may be pleasantly surprised!

1 Like

After some back and forth on another dCS thread I mentioned to a fellow member I would finally post a photo of my listening room.

Naim 552/500
Rossini + Master Clock (which kicked a Linn Klimax DS/3 out after 10 years of service)
LP12-Aro-Kandid-Radikal-Urika–Keel-Karmen-Tranquility-custom Chris Harban Curly Maple plinth
Kudos Titan 88 speakers from the first production run of 5 back in 2010(?)
Chord Music cabling throughout and good old NACA 5 speaker wire
Everything sitting on Naim Fraim.

*of course there is a dedicated power line running from the garage to the listening room.

Eero Saarinen Womb chair and ottoman and a Jens Risom lounge chair.

Oh - and just “a few” records :grin:
In back of the Womb chair and not visible - just “a few” CD’s

Best
Gregg

14 Likes

Very nice and very analogue room LOL.

I have a very similar analogue front end

LP12-Aro-EMT JSD6/Krystal/Phasemation pp300-Radikal-Urika-Keel-Stack Ultimate top-plate-Karousel-custom Chris Harban Indian Rosewood plinth

But I don’t have wall to wall LPs

As mentionned elsewhere, today my Rossini DAC arrived, replacing my Bartók HDAC, joining my Rossini Clock.

Of course it is still burning in, so I will share my observations later with you all, but first impression is: this is NOT a minor upgrade from Bartók. Much more body, better mids, more there, more real. More later :wink:

16 Likes

Yay! Good for you, Erno. Looks fantastic too.

1 Like

Good stuff Erno!! Congrats !!

1 Like

I hope you enjoy the new DAC. But a question, which may have been raised before in other discussions: You’re stacking the DAC and clock. dCS deprecates stacking. Do you think that advice is too severe?

Hi James,

This is the advice from the manual:

There is not enough room on my desktop to not stack, so ‘absolutely necessary’ applies.

1 Like

Is the stacking order significant?

I wonder if the Rossini should be on the bottom with the best contact to the base :thinking:

If you look at the front panel design, it is clear that the clock should be at the bottom:

3 Likes

YAY :drooling_face: Enjoy… I’m curious to read what comes after ‘…more real. More later’ I saw your very recent ‘what’s spinning’ posts…