Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Great advice!

From what I understand the 6.5 II is limited to 12AU7’s. I really like tube rolling. It’s amazing how much change is possible.

Does anyone know this product? https://v2.stereotimes.com/post/frank-acoustics-ub25000-ac-line-enhancer

I use one in my system. I lived in Malaysia for 12 years and know Frank Voon who builds them. Lots have been sold across Asia. Very effective for my use in Malaysia (better staging and more energy to the sound) where the voltage can be a bit erratic, especially in high rise apartment developments.

It’s still in use now I’m back in the U.K. though I’ve never taken it out to test its efficacy. Mine is plugged directly into the wall. Technically I believe it’s a shunt reactor and acts to “stiffen” the mains power. I have big power amps (2 x MBL 9008a) and haven’t been able to install a dedicated spur from the fuse box.

My front end (Rossini, Clock and Pre) are on the same mains ring but for them I have a 4 KVA BOT (also made by Frank) into an eight outlet Shunyata V-Ray.

2 Likes

Thanks Omni.

I’ve just installed a full balanced power conditioner, the Plixir BAC 3000 (where I’ve replaced the fuse with the new Synergistic Research Master fuse), at the top of my system on a dedicated AC line (with a Doepke circuit breaker).

Although the Plixir still requires lots of burn-in time, so far I’m very pleased with it. Pitch black background, much more definition/resolution, improved mid-band clarity and dynamics. And all components benefit from it.

My dealer recommended to test the Frank 25000 connected to the Plixir in order to turbo charge the entire chain.

Will report back.

Sometimes less is definitely more……
Lina directly into SCM50ASL’s with a nice little Transparent loom running on a clean mains feed….

29 Likes

Love it, Clint. Also really like the sideboard the Lina is on. Where can I go peep at those? (And especially that it matches the colour of the room treatment!)

1 Like

Hi Ben, Cheers!!
Its a copy of a Finn Juhl sideboard from a company called mobilaris, about £1200 if I remember correctly.
House of Finn Juhl don’t make a low one hence me buying a copy and the fact an original full height is circa 7k!!!

2 Likes

Clint, very nice. I’m curious by the way, did you decide on Lina right after the new firmware with volume control? And if so, what was in consideration prior to that?

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Have a look at Pastoe sideboards. You can even create your own:

https://www.studiopastoe.com/tool/20220921/index.html

6 Likes

Hi Anup
No I already had the Lina, I demoed the Bartok and the Lina and preferred the more forward presentation of the Lina
I was running Wilson tunetots into an Enleum amp but have recently moved to a much larger listening room and the system was on its limits. So the addition of the volume control allowed me to go for the big ATC actives :+1:

3 Likes

Hi Ben & Ermos
You could also look at USM Modular
Great configurable system
I was close to getting this and specify it quite often on my projects

11 Likes

That was indeed a great review! And very useful (sorry for the late reply).

It’s going to be a long search, especially after an Ansuz C2 power cable on loan has improved my SQ beyond expectation (and is going to dig another hole in my wallet).

A.

I jumped up the ladder from X2 to A2…their power cables, power distribution units and switches are something special. I tested the loudspeaker cables and ethernet cables as well but that was not my cup of coffee…

I have an USM for my gear- as a tip: use a stone or glass or wood board on top of it (like it’s shown in the first picture). The USM modules have the tendency to react on vibrations! Not very good if running tube gear of vinyl…

1 Like

The USM glass tops are excellent as they are laminated to solid board
Have you used the acoustic side panels?
I found these vibrated less :ok_hand:
Also the unique fixture ball allows for the addition of isolation or floor spikes

1 Like

Didn’t know that there are such specialized panels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really pleased with my new Rossini Player Apex. I have yet to connect the clock but already I can hear it’s a significant upgrade on the bartok / Rossini clock / meridian 808v6 cd player that I previously owned .
The CH Precision A1.5 / Stenheim Alumine 3s really sing now.

17 Likes

Great combo!

1 Like

…again no pre-amp? picture from Munich…dCS and Wilson and some Momentum?
So is this the preferred dCS setup?

3 Likes

As I have written before you cannot assume that what is used at a show is more significant than that this is one way of demonstrating. It may simply mean something as mundane as their truck was full and they had to decide what not to take :grin: .Whatever the reason It does not necessarily represent the way you or I may prefer to listen for which you need to have confidence in your own judgement which may or may not result in preamp use and whether tube or sold state.

3 Likes