Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Finally ready to show my system. Vivaldi, Boulder 2160 amp, Rockport Cygnus speakers, Iconoclast cables. I had the room built when we built the house so I was able to optimize (or attempt to) for audio. I used an online calculator to tune the dimensions (27 x 16 x 11 feet). Walls are angled in 6 inches back to front, ceiling is angled down 6 inches back to front. Corners are all 45 degrees. Standing waves are non-existent and bass is very smooth. But I had a ton of echo, well over 1/2 second. Adding bass traps in all 4 corners and absorbers on the wall, and crown molding removed the echo. Room now sounds very nice. If you look close you see fabric in the wood panels, behind the fabric is 4 inches of rock wool. Separate dedicated AC lines for DAC and TV. Boulder amp is powered via 240 volt line. I have an Intel NUC running Roon ROCK in the Harry Potter room located down the hall. The Boulder is sitting on a granite slab, the DCS components are on some relatively low cost stands (wood with spikes). My theory is by isolating each device to its own stand and having minimal material to vibrate that stands/racks are less likely to vibrate, plus I seldom listen above 75 dB. For those who don’t know, the Boulder is rated for 600 watts at 8 ohms and 2400 watts at 2 ohms and class A to full power, it never goes to class AB. Clarity of this amp is astounding and I feel it’s an excellent match to the Vivaldi. So why so much power for 75 dB? Because it sounds so much better then the Boulder 1160 which is a class AB amplifier.

29 Likes