Showing (off) your dCS setup - description and photos

Where would you position downloads in your list because many of download hires files to a music server? Presumably higher than streaming but would it be as good as or better than CD, SACD and/or vinyl? I appreciate it will depend upon recording quality.

1 Like

Agreed 100% but in my case streaming is way beyond the other sources, hence my post.

For me in my current system, hi-res downloads still sits at #4 (maybe #3) but as I said far away from #1 and #2. Asking here what’s everyone’s experience and ideas to improve SQ of streaming.

That is a very interesting question, Franco. Maybe you could put it in a separate topic, not to derail this one :pray:

4 Likes

Makes sense @Ermos.

1 Like

Thanks Franco :+1:

1 Like

My setup with dCS Bartók (sans Apex). Added a new preamp since my last post (Audia Flight Strumento No 1 mk3) and a lamp

10 Likes

My simple but fantastic system, with non-APEX Bartok (undecided how to proceed, wait and see).

The Aurender is a new addition and has made a tremendous impact! I moved the previous Roon Nucleus+ to a headphone system.

I keep thinking about getting a proper audio rack, I look a lot, but so far I have not taken any action. I always need space for photobooks; I can use every square inch I can find. The Luxman amp is super heavy–the photobooks are there in case the shelf pins fail. Most of my photobooks are still in storage following a recently completed remodel (CDs are too).

It’s a small room and the Harbeths are simply divine. Placement is not ideal, I’m sure, but I have to work with the room and its many uses. Synergy with the Luxman is perfect.

Next change is speaker cables. I have been using the same DNM cables for a long time; time for an upgrade. I recently replaced the DNM interconnect and the difference/improvement was obvious.The DNM cables are a legacy of the Resolution Audio system I had before, as seen by the Cantata Music Center V3 you see here, for spinning silver discs.

14 Likes

Nice setup! I love those Harbeths and I really like the Luxman. I have a pair of P3s myself in one system and the SHL5+ in my main system with the Bartok. The Harbeths are among my favourite speakers - they just get the tone right IMHO.

If you think of upgrading cables, buy them 2nd hand at a fraction of the initial cost! Burnt-in cables also “sound” better. But start with the power cords. Otherwise you will not know what your system is capable of. Over the years, I realised that spending 50% of my hifi-budget on racks/ platforms/ cables/ power conditioning is the best hifi investment I ever made.

I am now at the apex with a nearly complete loom of Nordost Odin2 (mostly 2nd hand and trade-ins). I demoed one Nordost Gold power cord at home, replacing the Odin2 power cord going into the power conditioner which supplies the rest of the system (consisting of Vivaldi-stack plus Clearaudio Master Innovation). The improvement was unfortunately very noticeable. One power cord!

1 Like

It’s my Bartok, feeding 2 x AMR-AM77 in monoblock mode via Nordost Tyr2 balanced ICs to Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum’s in Mocha (which nicely matches my brown /cream decor!) I have a PSAudio P15 Power Plant - which made a huge difference. to the overall sound. Source is from THEMEMORYPLAYER server - which is over 14 years old now and needs replacing. I guess that’s my next look in component - no plans to upgrade to Apex as I don’t see it’s worth it here in my system and replacing the MemoryPlayer seems logical… to what I don’t know - would love suggestions.

For me the Bartok has changed my listening to levels I never thought I’d attain. The C2’s are marvellous (but they lack bass extension… Thoughts? Oh and speaker cables are a custom affair made by ETI Research (old Eichmann) here in Brisbane - they were a huge step up from Nordost SPM. Power Cables are Nordost Frey 2…

on the wall is my TV and a new shiny gold affair just got it a few days ago. Devialet Dione ‘Opera de Paris’ can’t beat a bit of bling in the sunshine.
happy Days
Dean

7 Likes

would love recommendations of servers or other digital streaming into the Bartok with my current system. It all starts with the source right!

I had an Aurender n20 on extensive home loan into my (now replaced ) bartok 2.0 (using audience front row usb cable ) and to my ears the sound was no better than plugging a usb thumb drive directly into the bartok . The context is listening to DSD , flac , high res , MQA and ripped CDs all held locally on the Aurender drive . I never tried the aes / ebu connection which I am told works well between Aurender and dCS .
I then took a punt on a second Melco n1 ( circa 2016 model ) and it sounded much better than the Aurender - confirming that dCS streaming via Ethernet is the optimal solution .the Melco n1 was £650 and the Aurender n20 was £11,000. I had no special network switches other than an English electric 8 switch and chord company Ethernet cables - I did try a pricey Ethernet cable (£1k approx ) and heard no difference .
I have now replaced the bartok with a Rossini player apex and find internet music services such as spotify sound much better (as expected since the Rossini dac has higher performance than the bartok ) but I now find music streamed from the Melco so be inferior to the cd replay of the Rossini. And so now I am looking for a better server / streamer ! A few dealers have recommended the Grimm mu1 but I don’t use Roon . I should point out however the Melco user interface is terrible !

2 Likes

Had similar experience…Melco with upnp sounded much better vs Aurender and USB on Rossini.
On my list: Melco’s new HE model and Innuos Statement next gen.

1 Like

I recently added an Aurender N20 and I’ve had an extremely positive experience with it. The improvement was obvious. But I’m using the AES/EBU connection to my Bartok.

It is a big step up from the Roon Nucleus+ I was using. The Nucleus and Bartok were both connected via Ethernet.

This is my first experience with AES/EBU, so it’s difficult to determine what’s impacting the improvement in SQ: the connection, the Aurender, some combination.

The Aurender app is good but it has this quirk that when you play an album it adds it to the queue. I have it set to play automatically when it’s added to the queue but I don’t know why the app can’t just plan an album without the queue.

Also, the Aurender is beautiful and robust.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Most playback software uses something to indicate whats next (ie a queue). What bothers you about this as I would call that normal versus a quirk. If you long press on an album you can choose “Play now” but to your point plays and adds to queue.

Hoping to help if I can understand better.

I get that. It’s an intentional design that accommodates different use cases.

I’m coming from Roon and I play albums, not build queues. From a UX POV I’d love to say “play now” or “add to queue.” I have Aurender set to play now, but it still adds to the queue.

This not an issue, just something I noticed.

Got it. I wanted to make sure you know that queue can be set to “consume” or stay in queue?

1 Like

In Conductor, if you slow touch an album a pop-up menu appears. Select “Replace queue” to play the album and remove anything that was in the queue before.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I don’t have a photo, and certainly I don’t have anything that can rival anything here, but I thought I’d say Hello because earlier today I installed a Puccini (yep, I know this is an old bit of kit) into my system. That triggered me joining these forums as, sounds a bit daft, I would have felt a bit like an impostor being here before I owned a piece of dCS equipment.

I’ve loved the dCS sound since way back when the Ring DAC first appeared in the higher end Arcam CD players. Going from there to here over the last … too many … years has been a wonderful journey. I’m hoping it continues well into the future.

9 Likes