Scheduled APEX Upgrades

I brought my Rossini to my USA West Coast dealer on June 2nd for the Apex upgrade. They subsequently sent it off to the East Coast for the upgrade. It’s due back to my dealer on July 5th (fingers crossed). I’m very anxious to get it back and in my system again. Hopefully, I’ll be as impressed as others who have had it done to either their Rossini or Vivaldi DAC.

For those who have had the upgrade, has anyone found “the internal burn in generator” to be useful in getting some hours on their unit for improved sound?

Out here in the S.F. Bay area. Hoping your Rossini arrives as promised. I never explored the burn-in function on either my Vivaldi Upsampler or DAC. Seems that simply playing music through your DAC from your normal sources should do as well. No need to even have your amp on. Just keep your pre-amp on (unless, of course, you feed your amp directly from the Rossini, which would nix that recommendation).

I wonder if anyone from dCS can speak to just how long is advisable for the burn-in process, before getting most of the way to full burn-in.

Back today!

Been away for a week or so. Supposedly coming back on Saturday but it’s typhoon here in Hong Kong.

Delivered back from dealer today.

Warming up now

5 Likes

The guys normally suggest 100 hours or thereabouts …

As for the actual “running in” process, I just use and listen to whatever it is and if it’s a bit of kit that obviously “settles” in over a period of time then listening to that happening is, for me, an enjoyable part of that process…

Phil

6 Likes

Nice pic. I’ve always wondered why dCS never even bothered to identify the Vivaldi components, front or rear. I’ll certainly be curious to see if there are any identifying marks on my upgraded DAC when I receive it back.

Did anyone receive an upgraded Vivaldi DAC yet? Does it indicate APEX or such on the back? Would at least make sense. I see only that your Rossini has this “badging”.

The “Apex” shows on the back here:

…so I’d assume it will. It’s possible that this is just a pic of an off-the-shelf Vivaldi Apex, but I doubt dCS would take a different approach with the Rossini than the Vivaldi.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I hv bkd Apex upgrade for my Vivaldi One and local dealer in Hong Kong advised that a new back panel will be affixed indicating that it become an APEX model with the original serial number.

2 Likes

Yes, the dealer got my serial number prior to the upgrade so they could make a new back panel. It will say Apex on the back panel.

1 Like

Just checked and my Rossini is out for local delivery to tech John Fuller today. Pretty excited to hear the changes in a few days!

I wonder how well the process is going back in Waltham. My suspicion is they can only do so many at a time, so turnaround is not nearly as quick as for most dealers who’ve decided to take on the role of the upgrader. Might have a big stack of boards/rear plates "circling the dCS “airport” waiting to land…

I was advised by Graham that my Vivaldi is back. I’ll pick it up next week as I head home.

3 Likes

Now that’s good timing! I’m hoping mine goes back to dCS in the next wave. Can’t wait to hear your assessment as you break it in.

1 Like

I picked up my Rossini up from Graham at Music Lovers Audio today after it’s trip to the East Coast for the upgrade and have it back in my system after a month without it. Same Graham?

Yes. Graham Thomas. He tells me that things might have been somewhat faster had the shipment back East gone according to plan. Seems the shipper took over a week. However, he indicated the return trip back was faster than expected.

I’m awaiting word to box up my Vivaldi DAC for the next trip back. Just struck me that this feels a bit like missing the last car on an E ticket ride at Disney World. Or as Maxwell Smart would say in the sitcom “Missed it by that much”…

Enjoy your “new” Rossini

3 Likes

Excellent Maxwell Smart reference.

In case you’ve not seen this review of the Vivaldi APEX DAC https://www.hifinews.com/content/dcs-vivaldi-apex-outboard-dac

1 Like

I saw that too, but as a review (though very positive) I find it a bit of a puzzle. The reviewer states that his familiarity with the Vivaldi sound comes from many auditions, with varying equipment, of a system based upon the Vivaldi One. This system also includes the “Melco music library” as a source.

Unless I’ve missed it, the reviewer doesn’t state the system configuration that he used to audition the dac. Would the “Melco music library” be plugged straight into it? How would this music library have been connected to the Vivaldi One? Perhaps someone with some familiarity with these things would care to comment. I’m just trying to understand how directly the reviewer was able to compare the Apex dac sound with that of the old Vivaldi One.

In the end, I think I’m more interested in reading about the sound of the Apex upgrade from Forum members. I expect that after another few weeks there will be enough posts to arrive at some kind of consensus view of what the benefits are.

1 Like

Melcos are connected either via USB or a dedicated Ethernet port.

https://melco-audio.com/products/?amp=1