Scheduled APEX Upgrades

Hi Miguel,

Can you tell me which dealer this is?

Best Regards

Phil Harris

My dealer is JSAudio.

Hi Charles,

Has your unit gone back for an update or for a repair as well as an update?

Best Regards

Phil Harris

Thank you - Iā€™ve flagged this to dCS Americas along with the other information that you sent me via message and they will be following it upā€¦

Phil

1 Like

My Rossini is in for update. Two weeks ago my dealer told me the service center was waiting for replacement boards in place of defective boards from England. This was after three weeks since being sent to Boston.

OK Thanks ā€¦ Seems really odd that just an APEX upgrade would take that long and have any faulty parts as the APEX boards are extensively tested before they go out unless there was a fault found somewhere else in your Rossini whilst doing the upgrade that required other parts to be sourced?

Iā€™ll try to check up on this from my end too however your dealer is always the best placed to be able to keep you up to dateā€¦

Phil

The mention was made that a cable was too short.

Which doesnā€™t make a whole lot of sense as dCS is unlikely to change parts once the kits are in production unless, again, supply chain issues. :man_shrugging:

ā€¦andā€¦

From what I have been able to ascertain (which is a little vague as we have just gone into our summer shutdown week so I havenā€™t had the quick access to everyone that I normally would have) there was a problem encountered whilst updating your Rossini (Charles) which was not part of the APEX update itself ā€¦

I believe it was either a faulty connector on another board or a faulty interconnect cable but parts needed to be sourced from us in the UK which - at the time - we were waiting for more of.

Iā€™m informed that the required part was received into stock last week and was sent out either Thursday or Friday so dCS Americas should have that part arriving imminently and be able to complete the upgrade of your Rossini.

If you have any further queries regarding this and you are unable to get information from your dealer then please do feel free to drop me a direct email at [email protected] and I will do my best to assist.

Phil

I appreciate the follow up on your part very much. I would respectfully disagree that the problem encountered was not due to the Apex upgrades as the unit was operating normally when picked up by my dealer. Whatever issue was encountered occurred after the unit left my possession.

Hi Charles,

Please allow me to clarifyā€¦

As far as I understand, during the update process, an issue was found with an inter-board connection - whether that was with a PCB connector itself or with an interconnect cable that would normally not be replaced - but meant when the unit was upgraded and tested then there was a problem found.

(Iā€™m not sure where the ā€œshort cableā€ information came from but the FFC/FPC type cables are all made to specific lengths and cannot be shortened or extended.)

The faulty interconnect (whether it was a faulty connector on another board or a faulty FFC cable) was not in itself one of the physical parts supplied in the APEX upgrade kit and so additional replacement parts had to be requested from the UK - which appears to have been the cause of the delay as they were not in stock here at the time.

2 Likes

Got my Rossini back today after 6 weeks in Massachusetts. Eagerly hooked up the unit, flipped the power on andā€¦ it came up on USB as input. It would not accept the network. Called my dealer and he walked me through factory reset and Network appeared and we hung up. Except when I got back to the unit I had No Input in big red letters. Did the factory reset again. Network appears with 0/48 above the line and F1 below the line. This lasts about 20 seconds then back to ā€œNo Inputā€. Made a couple of other discoveries. One time when I did a factory reset I held the menu button a little longer and the message ā€œFolder Emptyā€ appeared. Also in unit settings IP address is "N/A. This has become very frustrating. I am retired, I do not want to work this hard for my music. Also there is no light in the Ethernet cable and I know the cable is active.

Hope you didnā€™t connect your Ethernet cable to the Loop rather than Main port. Resetting the unit should reset it to Input to Network. Did your dealer or you ever save your configuration? If so, you can restore it. Does the Display on the DAC show the correct input? Is it AES1+2? Do you use Mosaic app - that would allow you to choose Settingsā€¦Audioā€¦Source and pick Network. Not much else I can think of as I use Vivaldi gear.

The loop was blocked off so not possible. The control board was replaced. I am guessing that any configurations were lost but I will try. The display shows NETWORK NO INPUT. Mosaic cannot locate the device presumably because it has no IP address.

Only other thing I can suggest is to restart your network. I know that in cases like this I find that either the router needs to be restarted, or in my case in particular, thatā€™s where the problem resides. What is your network setup? Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve got a cable or fiber network device that provides DHCP functions, assigning addresses to all your devices, whether Ethernet wired or WiFi. That may be the problem. Or if you have another device between your Rossini DAC and the router, then it would require unplugging and plugging Power cable for this device (possibly a switch) to allow the proper function of end-to-end function to work.

So, shutting down all the elements of your network and starting them all back up from the router to each connected device in turn, and finally your Rossini, may well fix things.

Home network issues as mentioned above by @stevebythebay sound quite plausible. When my APEX returned I experienced similar network connectivity issues. A complete power cycle of all switches in the chain and a restart of the network finally resolved everything. The Rossini has been rock solid ever since.

Cable to Modem to Router to Rossini
Reset in this sequence:

1. power cycled Modem-power cycled Rossini-no love
  2. power cycled Router-power cycled Rossini-no love
  3. power cycled entire system-power cycled Rossini-no love
    This is the same system that the Rossini operated on before going in for the Apex upgrade.
    This is the same system that a Lumin T2 is operating on with no issues.

Iā€™m assuming that the state of the Rossini has changed in no visible way. So, when you press menuā€¦info you still see no network. Given all youā€™ve done Iā€™d consider that the link (your Ethernet cable) might now be a prime suspect. Try it elsewhere. Preferably in another location that works, to see if itā€™s no longer performing as a well behaved cable should. If it does operate correctly, then it might be the routerā€™s port might be at fault. If youā€™ve more than one port on the router, give that a go.

I know trouble shooting can be rather tedious. Welcome to the world of technology, and especially audio & video systems - where we have to deal with more components from different companies that often behave like kids thrown together on a playground. Every link in the audio (in this case digital) needs examination. Might prove helpful if you can list out all your linked components, from cable modem, routerā€¦to Rossini.

Tried on three different cables two of which the lumin operates without issue. The cables were out of two different ports again with the Lumin operating normally.
I also reset the modem and router utilizing the cable companys online tools. No joy. the lumin works as does my desktop hooked to this system as did the Rossini before it left my residence for the upgrade.

I think your network board might be at issue. I assume you cannot access the Rossini at all?