Rossini clock or save for Guarneri Speakers

Of course!

In this case youā€™re in a very rare and positive position @tadders, two members who both had the Auditors and upgraded to the Guarneriā€™s recommending exactly the same thing: upgrade the speakers!

: )

@Petzzz21: i have heard that Diablo + Sonus Faber sounds sublime. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Totally agree with this statement

@tadders Boulder 850 + Rossiniā€¦ surely the Guarneri will be a better match
@keiserrg怂thanks :wink: giving the Diablo some time to run in but its already better (not everything) then the Accuphase it replaced.

2 Likes

Two years ago, I faced a similar choice. Dissatisfied with my old Puccini/U-clock pair, I auditioned at a dealer where the Puccini could be heard side-by-side with a Rossini and a Vivaldi One. The differences were clear, but I questioned whether the price of upgrading could be better used elsewhere. Further listening convinced me that upgrading the speakers was far more impactful. Subjectively there was no doubt, and as Greg has pointed out, thereā€™s little use in trying to quote percentages.

Now, Iā€™m not familiar with Guarneri speakers. I upgraded MBL111e to MBL101e MK2.

Why might my experience help inform your decision? Because speakers have a uniquely difficult job to do. They mediate between the representation of music as an electrical signal, and its representation as motion of air in the physical space. Whereas, a DAC translates between two electrical representations, and while that transformation is difficult to do faithfully, personally I believe the speaker has a harder job.

2 Likes

Have you tried the clock? I had a Debussy and then Rossini and tried clocks with each. Iā€™ve had various other DACs that accepted external clocks and never found they made a significant differenceā€¦ to me. . When I sold the Rossini the buyer said adding the clock was a ā€œprofoundā€ difference, He said 30% whatever that means. Iā€™ve tried a wide variety of word clocks, reference clocks, USB re-clockers, master clocks, Ethernet re-clockers, from Uptone, Innuos, Mutec, DCS, Antelope and others. ā€¦ I simply donā€™t hear it

My point isā€¦ you need to try the clock and see what it does for you.

2 Likes

Replacing the NB + Ayon Skylla DAC with the Bartok gave a huge improvement. Next were the clock and digital cables.
All of this was more profitable than any speaker upgrade I have had so far. (Currently PMC MB2SE)
In my experience, speakers sound as good as you feed them. Boulders are fantastic amplifiers and the Cremonas are great loudspeakers.So let them sing, Unleash their potential ā€¦ But a comparative listening session is of course a must.

3 Likes

Do you run the Rossini directly into the mono blocks?

Yes, directly into mono blocks

1 Like

Thatā€™s the way to do it.

Or not. It is a matter of taste. Many people find that direct connection whilst offering clarity is simply too dry a sound to be completely enjoyable.