Qobuz discounting purchases of HD music on their Sublime subscription

If possible, I always check bandcamp as the artists get more money that way.

4 Likes

Following up on this. As I am likely to purchase the Super Deluxe version of The Who’s Who’s Next: Life House release, I am curious to know if anyone has an explanation for this dramatic pricing differential:

I understand my Sublime+ discount, but why is the nominally lesser CD quality price so much more?

1 Like

I suspect @Urbanluthier might have been correct. That differential is nuts, though.

Once I upgraded to sublime + i have been able to (finally) purchase from the labels mentioned above in Canada. I see the same crazy price differential between high res and CD quality you note above. Not sure why this is. For the most part, high res pricing seems to be 25-30% less than other vendors.

the Qobuz download app doesn’t seem that intuitive and I cant figure out how to pay by CC. Only paypal works for me

That’s what I have in France for a sublime subscription

As I posted above 2 years ago discounts are in the hands of the record labels as it is they who sell to Qobuz similarly to selling to record stores.Only then can Qobuz decide what, if any, discount could be taken off from the msrp. I just checked and a similar pricing oddity affects Qobuz UK ( run from Paris). So at first look this may seem to originate from a UMG decision or is a cock up.

I can’t say what Qobuz Canada is doing about payment. I always use Visa for Qobuz purchases here in the UK. I note that some online retailers only accept PayPal however. Whether such a decision has been taken by Qobuz Canada may require their direct answer to you. Just enquire via their contact form

The download is straightforward ( unless the Canadian operation has something different). However you will run into problems if you don’t take a few moments to read the page. Most importantly note that there are TWO methods of downloading offered. Choose the wrong one and problems arise. One downloads to the Qobuz app ( I will try to remember bit I think this means clicking the blue box unless, as said, Canadian Qobuz is different). The other choice is what most of us want which is a download to your hard drive so that it can be copied to your NAS. This is a green box ( from memory). You need to pick the format that you want. The download is handled by your browser. It will probably be zipped so you need to unzip it before you copy it over. For this you need a piece of freeware loaded to your computer called 7-Zip.

Once you have done it once it will then seem very straightforward.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I guess I can chalk it up to one of life’s great (marketing) mysteries, and go back to listening and drinking. I am enjoying the Who’s Next: Life House download. There are some very intriguing cuts on the Super Deluxe edition, though a substantial number of wasted electrons as well, as is often the case on these extended editions.

4 Likes

It’s always like that.

With all due respect my friend, that’s not a reason or explanation. :wink: