Optimising optical: converter, SFP module and cable choices

Yes, agree that is absolutely possible

Thanks, @miguelito. I’d forgotten 100Base-T upwards did that

Hi Miguel,

What I know is that the StreamUnlimited Stream800 network board inside the dCS networked part has this:

Interfaces/Connectivity
• SO-DIMM 200 board edge connector
• Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n (dual band, WoWLAN)
• Bluetooth
• Ethernet 10/100 Mbit/s (WoLAN)
• RGMII for 2nd Ethernet or alternative Wi-Fi
• SDIO interface (SD card, alt. Wi-Fi, etc.)
• 2x USB 2.0 (1x OTG) with iPod digital audio
• GPIOs, LCD
• Control interface to carrier board (I2C, SPI)
• Digital audio interfaces (I2S, SPDIF)

The loop port Ethernet 10/100 Mbit/s (WoLAN) has Wake-on-LAN. The RGMII for 2nd Ethernet is the main ethernet connection at 1000mbps. Reduced gigabit media-independent interface (RGMII) is a standard which was developed to reduce the number of signals required to connect a PHY to a MAC. Reducing pin count reduces cost and complexity for network hardware especially in the context of microcontrollers with built-in MAC, FPGAs, multiport switches or repeaters, and PC motherboard chipsets.

2 Likes

Ok understood. But again, why bother exposing this at all? Adding an Ethernet jack is higher cost.

For quick reference dCS does not support any of the following:

• Managed Ethernet switches
  • Use of the Loop port on Rossini / Bartok to daisy chain another device
  • Optical media converters
  • “Bridged” network configurations

For more information please read on…

1 Like

Even more reasons why this is an option that’s intended to allow you to force a lower speed ethernet.

Good stuff from folks who know a thing or two. Thanks Erno.

2 Likes

Basically then, and tell me if I paraphrase you inappropriately, optical is optical: as long as “stuff” is standards-compliant, bits sent = bits arriving so all the options here are equal over typical home distances in a typical home setting. Sound quality won’t/can’t be impacted by the choices made. In the digital domain I obviously believe you…

So no need to worry about SFP vs SFP+, single vs multi-mode, or wavelength.

This is the basic optical kit I bought to try it out many months ago, but life just gets in the way… can any of this be improved on in the digital domain? (I have to add the qualifier “in the digital domain” for obvious reasons). Digitally, my Amazon optical patch cord will perform as well as its Corning counterpart… unless you suspect sloppy production controls and lax standards compliance of course.

In case you haven’t read it, dCS say:

The Loop port operates at 100Mbit/sec and was never designed to be used as a general-purpose network port. We have encountered some issues with customers using this port to connect a server, NAS, or other general purpose device. Due to the speed differential there can be issues with network flow control which will cause instability.

Edit: BTW, my managed switch (unsupported of couse by dCS), easily allows me to set the port speed, so if you like to limit it to 100Mbit/sec, use your switch to limit it, but not the Loop port.

Right. But the point they are making is don’t use it as a loop port to connect another device to your network (frankly the name implies you could). I have had zero issues using the Loop port instead of the 1gbps port - that is what they are talking about when they speak of speed differential.

Can you try this, comply with the specs, and fulfil your desire? :grinning:

Gigabit Ethernet circuits are far more sensitive to noise than 10/100. So, the very basis of that statement is wrong as Gigabit Ethernet systems are typically less electrically noisy than traditional 10/100 ones.

Yup.

Just the one Media Converter? Does your Ethernet Switch have an SFP cage that you’re connecting this Media Converter to? Not a lot can go wrong, just be sure to match the SFPs on either end, and to the appropriate fibre type.

Yup. For home use, meaning even meters of it, no difference whatsoever. In fact, even if you happen to mismatch the SFP type to fibre, for example, attaching multi-mode fibre to a single-mode SFP pair (or vice versa) , it’ll work just fine at home.

3 Likes

No, a pair, the other one is adjacent in the box but out of sight

Nice, but it is still designed to work on Earth, it would work even better in space, far from the radiations of a solar system :slight_smile:

So @Anupc, I think you’ve covered off most of the parameters/options folk seem to wrestle with when working out how to implement optical for audio networking purposes. And the answer seems primarily to be that as long as everything is standards-compliant then it will work and we shouldn’t worry about much of what we read others worrying about…

I guess in some ways this is an echo of the views expressed you’ve expressed elsewhere about bits being bits, and it would be difficult to argue with this. However, you also mentioned on a few occasions the importance of using high quality/low noise power supplies on eg media converters. So please allow me to add this to my opening list of considerations in the same format:

Power supplies/external
What difference do various external power supplies make to optical circuits? I tend to default to linear PSUs rather than quiet SMPS’s, though I know there are advocates of the latter.

How important are power supplies and why?

Power supplies/internal
Same Q here I guess, as there may be media converters with internal PSU’s. If you look inside say an ADOT media converter vs the 10Gtek ones I have here, there are bigger caps and no doubt other stuff going on.

All input gratefully received.

Well, if you consider each transition producing an amount of electromagnetic noise regardless of the number of transitions per second, then it would make sense that there would me more noise density with 1gbps than 10/100mbps.

The fact that the circuits themselves don’t get affected by noise as much as 10/100 is different from the noise they can produce.

1 Like

Nope. In SPDIF the clock must follow the source, and if there’s low frequency drift in the source clock them you can get audible jitter.

In fact, it’s both, more sensitive to noise, and the produces less noise. Go ahead and do some research on it.

Dude, the thread is about Optical SFPs. Not TOSLink. :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Not specifically to the optical portion of the SFP, to the electrical portions, i.e. the other end of the SFP and the rest of the Media Converter, as well as to prevent a cheap [PSU] from spewing noise back to the AC supply.

Not sure I follow. The ADOT has an external PSU doesn’t it? Or do you mean the regulators inside the Media Converter?

Thanks again.

Sorry, the ADOT does have external PSU but the innards (regulator board) seem pretty beefy compared with the 10GTek. I wondered whether this might be a factor in the sonic difference reported by some and the preference they’ve expressed for the ADOT. We agree it can’t be any difference in the digital domain, so it’s either (a) in the power supply element or (b) in the imagination. Try to resist! :slight_smile: