Optimising optical: converter, SFP module and cable choices

But you assume:

I would expect v2.0R to also be significantly cost reduced in terms of internal components

On what base is your assumption?

Almost every time a company releases a “v2” of the same product, they cost reduce it and consolidate the component count.

It’s just standard industry practice.

If they wanted to highlight the new features, they’d revise the model number as well.

As an example, look at all the different revisions of hardware Linksys sold as the “WRT54G” router:

Linksys WRT54G Series

You’ll see the amount of flash memory and RAM actually went down over time as they continued to cost reduce it and switched from general-purpose CPUs to a SoC.

2 Likes

I see, your assumption is just sarcasm. And you don’t know actually what happened, in this case.

Bartok v2, Rossini v2, Vivaldi v2… all bad. Apex the same.

Sorry Bill .

No, it’s common practice in consumer electronics, not high end audio.

1 Like

I don’t think the Trendnet TFC-1000MGA v1 or v2 would be considered a ‘consumer product’. I’d characterize it as ‘for industrial use cases’. It is designed to transmit over 80km!

1 Like

@Anupc - Hi Anupc. Any suggestion for a new “Top of the Pop” FMC?

The reason for asking is this comment from Phil:

THX

Torben

Perhaps, but if it were aimed at industrial markets it would have Cisco/Juniper pricing attached.

No need to sell it for $50 when customers will pay $500 for the little Bridge logo. :grin:

TRENDnet is a global provider of award-winning networking and surveillance solutions to small and medium-sized businesses, as well as home office users.

Generally, the only difference is usually in the power delivery capability and thermal dissipation handling of the SFPs cages on the converter. SFPs come in various reaches, the further the reach, the higher power requirement of its laser diode, and the more heat it needs to dissipate. But the Media converters themselves are not otherwise fundamentally different.

In my experience, among the consumer brands, generally you can’t go wrong with brands like Trendnet, Tripp-Lite, Black Box, 10GTek, and a bunch of others that don’t come to mind.

TP-Link is quite popular and is OEM’ed by lots of others, but I’ve experienced reliability problems with them (units dying). Likewise with many of the “no-name” PRC built ones. In fact, reliability is the main concern on media converters, not noise etc. as such.

2 Likes

This may well be true; the specification suggests the weight has reduced from 285g to 280g but the only way we’ll know for certain is if/when one of us buys a v2…

1 Like

I have been using this for than 6 months and it just fine :slight_smile:

Torben

1 Like

So… I think I’m going to grab a couple of Trendnet TFC1000-MGA with 10G/SFP+ modules. I don’t expect to hear any difference from my 10Gtek duo but it’s a low cost experiment.

Where I’m struggling is with all the options regarding SFP+ modules and the associated cable. Even looking at only Cisco’s range is bewildering.
Primary factor seems to be Single Mode vs Multi-Mode. Let’s just say I want to go Single Mode as per @BillK: what terminology do I look for in choosing my SFP+ modules?

I’ve seen references to OM1, OM2 etc and now know these indicate multimode. I’ve also seen lots of references to SR and LR.

When it comes to the cable connecting the two, I think I’ve worked out I need LC connectors! Any other indicators of a single mode cable which will suit 10G/SFP+ modules?

Obviously I’m trying to avoid assembling a converter-module-cable-module-converter chain which has any incompatibilities in it. I do appreciate that in a domestic setting, most combos will work… but I’m trying to learn here too.
Thanks again

@Anupc might be able to recommend some specific SFP+ modules, but the key is you need to match modes and connectors.

The cheapest solution is likely to be a multi-mode 10G SFP+, then all you need are a pair with a decent cable as the cable defines the maximum distance; on 50/125µm cable they’re good for 300m, but only 100 feet with a 62.5/125µm cable, but I suspect you will be sending the signal more like three feet, perhaps twenty at most.

Odds are your cable will have LC connectors but just match what your SFP+ modules have.

It’s also very important to connect the cables to the SFP+ modules and then insert the SFP+ modules to avoid possible eye damage if you inadvertently stare into the port trying to get the cable attached.

1 Like

Thanks @BillK.

I guess ideally I’d like to know what a single-mode config might look like and separately what a multi-mode config might look like.

The cable will be somewhere between 25 feet (8 metres) and 3 feet (1 metre) depending on whether I replace my CAT 6 cable entirely or simply introduce a short optical loop at the end of it. Is there a minimum radius/diameter for an optical cable or is it the case that if you could run CAT 6 copper then you could just as easily run optical over same route?

Yes, I think all the Cisco etc modules I’d consider will be LC.

Thanks for top tip regarding safety! As an optical “explorer”, I might have missed that.

PS. I think I now understand that LR and SR stand for long and short range (so in themselves irrelevant in a domestic setting) and for Single Mode operation I need OS2 modules rather than OM anything.

This is single-mode with Cisco switch

Here is the configuration:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MZ6DQM9

https://www.amazon.de/Startech-com-Ethernet-Glasfaser-Medienkonverter-Steckplatz/dp/B011KH1O1U

Torben

1 Like

SR means Short Range, which on Single Mode is around 10km and about 80km for Long Range (LR). Suffice to say LR might conceivably cause issues around the home as there wouldn’t be the expected attenuation (although you can add attenuators, if necessary).

SR is fine for use within the home, however I have a LR transceiver on my leased line as the fibre travels about 30km to the exchange - this is the kind of use case LR Single Mode is designed for.

With Multi mode, Short Range drops to 300m, which is fine in a home environment.

OM1/2/3/4/5 fibre ratings are used for Multi Mode and reference the speed and distance the fibre is rated for. I believe OM3 is sufficient for 10Gbps-40Gbps up to 100m.

OS1/2 fibre codes are used for Single Mode and specify the wavelength of the light - OS1 for 1310nm lasers and OS2 for 1550nm.

3 Likes

Excellent, thanks. If I’m to go for Single Mode it looks like SR then. I really don’t want to get into attenuator territory! One of the OS’s, obviously.

I presume @torbenrick uses SR but I’m sure he’ll confirm.

Multi-mode OM3 sounds good and I believe this may work out cheaper.

For what it is worth, I have the same 10Gtek cheap media converters and I finally got around to doing a speed test to see if the media converters created any latency. Short answer is no - I get near 1Gbs with the 10Gtek’s or via copper direct from back of my fibe modem switch.

Not that this really matters for music data transfer, but it is nice to know the 10Gteks are performance to spec.

1 Like

No slow down between my TP-Link and my Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4, either, just the anti-lightning galvanic protection I was shooting for. :heart:

1 Like

The TFC-1000MGA is a 1Gbps Media Converter, not 10G. So, I think you meant SFPs (no “+”), SFP+ are 10G plugs.

If you’re picking up the Trendnet, then for maximum reliability, just go with their single-mode short-reach plugs, something like their TEG-MGBS10.

You can always try different branded plugs later. (Hint, they’re not going to make a difference in sounds quality :grinning:)

3 Likes