New to dCS - Rossini APEX

Just remember that there is no right or wrong choice ( dCS have already thought this out and only offer you suitable filters for each sampling rate). It is simply what you like ( like choosing an apple or an orange) and you can change your mind as frequently as you like.

1 Like

Woohoo… Rossini is on the truck - delivery inbound today…

8 Likes

Hi Marc, assuming you’re enjoying your new Rossini, any thoughts, observations yet on how it performs in your system?

Hi August - the day after the Rossini arrived, I had a fortnight trip planned. So it is just looping an album in the meantime. Since other users have reported distinct benefits from ‘burn-in’ - will evaluate it properly upon my return. Initial thoughts: It definitely exceeds the built-in DAC in the Sennheiser HE1. Will be interesting to compare that 30 minute snapshot to the next one after 300 hours of ‘burn-in’. Will post some pictures and an update once back…

2 Likes

Marc, I hope that I have caught you in time.

I read your post that you have a brand new Rossini which you are going to leave burning in via a loop whilst you go away for two weeks. If I am correct in my reading please do not risk this.

The reason is that if a new purchase is to go wrong then it is most likely to do this during its early life. It will be less likely to go wrong thereafter until it becomes old when the possibilitity of issues increases again. This is a very well known phenomenon which relates to all goods: cars, washing machines, expensive audio components. etc. If plotted the result is well known as a bathtub graph (see link).

I would not leave a new item of such value running without reasonable attention ( I don’t mean 24/7) especially more or less straight out of the box.

4 Likes

Hi Pete,

A good reminder of this effect (although familiar with it - I didn’t know it had a name!). The Rossini was actually on for 2 days before I left and have kept a daily eye on it via our home surveillance systems. It’s still alive and well. I wouldn’t have done this with power amps though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can see both sides of this. Being away feels like the perfect time to burn-in equipment, but I’m always worried (perhaps unnecessarily) about a potential power surge during a storm or about some magic smoke getting carried away and setting fire to something!

Hi Jeremy - I have family members who are the same - one switches EVERYTHING off before she goes away. If that gives you peace-of-mind - I totally get that and respect it. That approach also has the best green credentials! In our house - that simply isn’t possible - and even the basic infrastructure draws many orders of magnitude more power than a Rossini. So my peace-of-mind comes instead from great electrics, sensitive circuit breakers, monitoring systems and worst-case, insurance.

1 Like

The Rossini’s temporary home in my study.

Some observations:
It was much larger (in terms of depth and height) and heavier than I expected - quite hard to get into the rack - I would suggest a 2 person job…
I’m not a huge fan of the LCD display’s quality (dCS are not alone here and I get that compromises are made with aesthetics to reduce/eliminate impact on the music).
Stunning build quality/case-work

3 Likes

Ah yes, insurance. I am aware that in general people do not read the policy. If you have not may I suggest that this may be a useful thing to do if very boring. Things may vary in other countries and domestic law but for the UK at least:

The two relevant issues here are firstly he maximum reimbursable value of a single item. In many policies high end audio units may well exceed this. In fact simple policies e.g. x ÂŁ for a house with x bedrooms ( sold in supermarkets) will certainly be of this nature . Unless an underwriter has been informed and the risk accepted then otherwise claiming for a 20K DAC may well be turned down on the basis that without notification such a large risk cannot have been assumed by the insurer when the policy was taken.

The other issue relevant to this thread is going away for a period. Check that your period of absence is covered if your property is to be left unattended for a period. Many policies are fine for a two week break but may not be so for an extended period ( over 30 days for example).

1 Like

Hi Marc

Like you, I’m not knocking either approach and mine might actually be overkill as we have surge protection within the consumer unit. Belt and braces!

Jeremy

1 Like

So true. If anyone on here is relying purely on a standard household policy, it’s worth checking your cover. In the UK, Hiscox, NFU plus a few others will provide cover, however, even then, I found I had to move to Hiscox’s Fine Arts policy to insure my equipment.

1 Like

I work with energy and electric equipments supply, if you have a good quality energy board with good protections you don’t need to worry. With a thunderstorm it will do the job to protect all the connections.

1 Like

What is good protection? A surge protector in the consumer unit?

Not to be rude nor be moderating - but what does these last few comments have to do with a Rossini APEX?

Back to topic, please. Thank-you.

Best to all,

Bob

It’s a good electric board with top quality fuses and differential cut and well dimension to the installation.