New Owner of Rossini Player and Clock. Looking for guidance on approaches to rip and store my CD's and High Rez content

About Roon’s metadata model:

1 Like

Nucleus doesn’t have a ripper. Roon will use either its own metadata library or yours, whichever you tell it to use. There is a setting for that.

If you simply dumped all your folders of music into a drive attached to or installed in the Nucleus, or pointed to on an NAS, Roon would make some sense of it. Even if you did zero tagging. It would hardly be perfect of course. I prefer to do my own metadata, because I have a fair number of duplicate titles that I like to keep organized a certain way. What’s nice is that if I have five different versions of an album, Roon will respect that but, where it is available, the Roon library of info about the artist, musicians, album credits, back story, etc., is available on all the versions I own. So, from my point of view, I get the best of both.

Roon and Nucleus + have a ripper function now. Connect USB CD drive to Nucleus and Rip function appears in Roon app. Seems like the main distinction I am finding is that Roon puts all metadata into its database and stores files on internal drive based on timestamp of rip. If only using Roon, not an issue, if you want to use the rips in other use cases then not as flexible or open as ripping with dBPoweramp or other models that are more open wrt transportability.

Oh that, yeah, sorry, I thought you meant an internal automated ripper. Yeah, that function is a non-starter for me. Talk about defeating the purpose of locating Nucleus remotely, and then still having to work from a desktop or laptop. I get why they did it (to say they “have it”), but . . . no.

Agree…Yate is worth ever penny

I find that metadata editing is like a tube of Pringles, Pete. I don’t especially enjoy the first one, but left to my own devices I just keep doing it. Until I feel sick. The analogy holds — eek!

Once I’ve had one pass at improvements I find something else to polish…and on it goes. And as good as the metadata services are nowadays I’ll always find some little thing that I want to fix. And then I want the filename to match the metadata. And the whole lot to follow a certain pattern. (Track name, disc number, etc.) And, And, And. :face_with_thermometer:

I used PerfectTunes for most of my collection, but I was bitten by a few (now fixed) bugs and a general sense of it being a slightly awkward Windows port so looked for other options. I almost gave up on Yate, but the developer helped me hone my setup and I’ve not looked back since. Mind you, Metadatics looks pretty good too…

1 Like

Sorry for reviving this old thread (rather than start a new one on the same subject), as I too have just started down the streaming road. I have just got & installed a Network Bridge, and my requirements are simply to listen to my ripped CDs (no intention to use commercial streaming yet). I have my iMac connected to the NB via Ethernet, and have previously used this iMac, with iTunes to rip all my CDs to Apple Lossless for use with my various Apple products. I have never had any problem with this ripping process; very occasionally there’s a glitch in the ripped-sound, but it’s either due to some mark on the CD, or a genuine fault in the CD recording. I have since been using an App. called LD to rip my CDs into FLAC (there are some great tutorials on YouTube, etc.), again using my iMac. Before I invest a lot more time, I’d like to clarify a couple of things please since I’ll now be listening to these files where SQ is important:

1. As long as a CD reader actually reads all the bits with no addition or subtraction of info. then my iMac reader will be fine (as it seems to have been all this time), so there is no need to invest in anything else?

2. So long as you’re happy with the UI and adding in album art, and any other metadata edits, any ripping App. that produces a FLAC file should do the same job?

I did switch to XLD because it does do a quality check before the rip and provides useful stats after it completes the job. Also, there was a YouTube tutorial about ripping your CDs in order to get rid of them for good, so was very thorough in its process.

My final question is whether there is any benefit (aside form storage capacity) for me continuing to use my iMac as the UPnP server to my NB, as opposed to having a dedicated NAS product?

Oh and one other thing: I’ve read the many threads on Ethernet cables, and wonder for all those folks who are happy with industry-standard CAT cables (of which I would be), why they don’t simply recommend the cable that DCS ships with the product, rather than buy another commercial product (or if that has been said, I have missed that thread)? The cable that came with my NB looks very well made and chunky :blush:

Thanks for any thoughts/comments you care too share.

Hi,

I also used DB power to rip about 1,000 cds to my Roon Nucleus internal SSD. Cost effective, not too bad on the time and very transparent. I would recommend reading the DB instructions carefully , lots of options for best results. End product perfect.

1 Like