Network switches

I was writing here about the need for a resolving system to hear these minor differences. And then realized that this is a dCS forum so assume everyone has a pretty good investment in their system. I was using the switch capability on my network router and when a Nucleus arrived, ran out of inputs. Purchased a Netgear undifferentiated switch which worked fine. Then realized the Netgear not only powered itself but was built to supply power through the ethernet cables to other computer equipment. Uh oh, wrong decision. Now using a Chord/Electric 8 and very happy. Much quieter and a nice, well built piece of gear on the table. In addition, the Green Computer folks convinced me to try their device that isolates the input to my dCS Bartok via fiber link. Seems to make a small difference in clarity to the highs and add some air.

Yes, PoE switches can be a mixed bag. Some are just made better than others, and in my experience, it can make a big difference what sort of equipment is plugged into which port [powered vs. non-powered]. It can also matter whether the PoE switch is replacing a previous switch with a cheap SPS, etc. It all matters, though as you say, more so on a highly resolving system.

Hi Coppy,
Could you share the name/model number of the Green Computer device?
Thanks

Small Green Computer… Opticalmodule Deluxe with power supply and fiber converter bundle. About $550.

Thanks a bunch. Appreciate the prompt response.

Depending on what you’re trying to do, and your network topology, this may be overkill if you’re neither adding nor converting FO. I have one of these, and they work quite well, as does most Sonore stuff. But for straight optical isolation on an Ethernet line, I have had the same results for a tad less $ with the GigaFoil 4. Not everyone here has had the same result, though, and for reasons that remain unknown.

Thank you - I really appreciate your detailed reply.

I had the GigaFoil and sent it back. Replaced it with the Small Green Computer optical module. I go with a long run of optical cable from my switch down to my two channel room where the optical plugs into the opticalModule. From the output of the opticalModule I have a short run of Shunyata Ethernet into my Upsampler. Seems very quiet and has been rock solid since it was installed.