Lifespan for a Vivaldi DAC with Apex board upgrade?

I doubt if there is a relatively fixed or known period when it will happen. It is going to depend on usage and environmental factors etc. In fact you are the first person I have learned of reaching the warning. As Phil said, most units are never seen again by dCS after they leave manufacture. My Vivaldi is now 6 years old with no issues of this nature. Incidentally I only switch on an hour or so before a listening session.

1 Like

Hello, this is why i described my usage and I’m trying to understand if i need to change anything in the process. I do the same for the DAC and Umpsampler (switching off with the front end power button). Any advise is more than welcome if i need to change anything.

@James

Are there any guidelines for leaving the clock, and for that matter the DAC, powered on?
Coming from the Naim world I leave my equipment, including Rossini and Rossini Clock, powered on 24/7

1 Like

Hi Gregg,

This was the guideline of dCS. I guess it still is:

Specifically for the clock:

Temperature is an issue when it comes to the performance and stability of certain components when they are below their ideal temperature. This is especially true of the clock oscillator and certain parts of the output stage. These parts perform their best when at a constant and stable temperature.

1 Like

Perfect
Thanks Erno
24/7 and it will keep company with my Naim gear :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Ermos but I hope that people read the entire links kindly given by you and not just the quotations selected.

The full link indicates why I switch off for much time :

When I was working my main listening was restricted to weekends except, as now, during the Proms season. Even now although I am perforce at home most of the time I reserve music listening to dedicated periods. Further the cost of electricity in the UK has recently increased significantly :

In regard to the clock itself:

I do not know exactly where Ludovic lives but France experienced exceptionally high ambient temperatures this summer ( equal to or exceeding the normal operating temperatures of the clock) especially in the South East. So I wonder if this had any impact of the appearance on the warning CAL icon?

1 Like

I’ve had my Vivaldi Clock for about 10 years now, and it’s lives in Standby Mode when not used, in pretty much constant 25-28°C external temperature (likewise with my Vivaldi DAC, and has an internal ambient temperature of around 40°C normally).

I’ve had no issues to date. Touch-Wood :crossed_fingers:t3: :grin:

Hello Pete @PAR , depending who you are asking in France you are more in less in south :smile: I leave in Grenoble which is quite hot because of the geography between the mountains.

The room where the music is played has air conditioning and it is used when I listen to music. As I’m working from home 2 days per week, most of the time the system is on. I always put the system in standby (Apex, upsampler, clock) and the room temperature is between 24-25C when air conditioning is running and between 25-29C when no air conditioning. In the latest condition, the system is in standby but not listening mode.

The CAL appeared after 2 weeks of full switched off équipements (holidays) with a temperature of 25/29C in the room during the 2 weeks.

Thanks for the discussion

2 Likes

Does anyone know if it is possible to check the internal temperature for the Rossini Clock? I leave mine on all the time. With a heat gun the external case is 24.8 C.

Unlike many dCS units Rossini wordclock has no Menu or display to show it so measuring the internal temperature will be rather difficult.

However given the tcontents of this hread I suspect you may be worrying yourself unnecessarily. The unit is specified as being stable between 5 degrees to 55 degrees C. Your external reading of 25 almost certainly guarantees the internal temperature will lie within this range. The unit should be used in ( ambient) temperatures between 0 and 45 C which I expect will be OK for Canada with a heated room if necessary.

2 Likes

As Pete suggests, it’s not really necessary.

That said, if you’ve got a PC/Mac with RS232 DB9 (female) Serial cable handy, then it’s quite trivial to check the internal temperate of the Rossini Clock;

1. Connect your Serial Cable to the RS232 port - the “IN” port which is the one further away from the Power socket
  2. Launch your TTY terminal program on your PC/MAC with speed 115200
  3. Power Cycle the Rossini Clock while depressing the “Dither 1” button - to switch the Serial port into Text mode
  4. Wait for the Rossini Clock to fully boot - You’ll see the intro text
  5. Type “status” and hit return

You’ll see the temperature listed as a 3 digit number in degrees Celsius. You can see mine below, it has a current temperature of 36.6°C

7 Likes

Another reason for powering down your gear in between sessions: Earth.

Unless your house is running on solar panels with battery storage, or you happen to be in one of the rare places on earth with a clean electricity grid (like Costa Rica), every kWh of electricity you use results in more CO2, pollution, and related GHGs (CH4, NOx, etc.) going into the atmosphere (and then, through natural feedback cycles, into the soil and ocean).

While the standby load of most electronics is low, if you keep Class A tubes on, over time the load (and emissions) is meaningful.

Personally, I power everything off between sessions, and disconnect everything from the wall if I am traveling.

Of course this means I need to wait 20-30 minutes for the tubes and sound to reach their peak performance, but this is also the same amount of time it takes a good bottle of red wine to open up : )

Cheers.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you on the environmental aspect. Even though I do have solar panels and a home battery I switch off my stereo when not in use. There are days I have the time to listen, mostly at night, and days I don’t. On average I listen three times a week for 1-2 hours at a time. In my system I reach the performance I look for within 10-15 minutes, so it’s no problem.

3 Likes

Yup - if only we could stop those underwater volcanos erupting.

Some things we can control, others not.

Those underwater volcanoes have been erupting off and on for the last 4 billion years or so and abnormal levels do not seem to have been reported by seismologists. So I think we can discount them as a cause per se.

2 Likes

Not at all - you have to look at the actual events and of course FACTS. My upsampler and amps on all day make sod all difference to the co2 - WHICH WE NEED FOR LIFE

This article by Reuters does a good job of unravelling the numbers.

In short, volcanic eruptions as a whole create relatively small amounts of CO2 compared to human activity.

1 Like

And my hifi makes NO DARN DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER!

Small amounts of co2? You are lying or joking. Have you quantified the recent eruption vs UK emissions? No - clearly

Golly. And golly once more.

1 Like