Impact of Power Cables on Active Speakers

As I understand it, the power supply tends to gulp power as it tops up its capacitors rather than having a continuous, steady draw, meaning mains cables are also subject to the skin effect. I can certainly see how this could become significant with an amplifier.

PS I think I may have misspoken when I talked about differential noise being removed by their filters. While this might be true, I believe their main purpose is to remove noise injected into the power system by other devices.

1 Like

But skin effect, as I understand it, is to do with the uneven distribution of frequencies across a conductor. In a mains cable, all you need is a thick enough conductor to handle the current draw, surely.

I don’t know anything about these particular filters but can imagine how filters might alter the sound (I had a pricey Isotek filtered mains block once and ultimately found my system sounded better without it). I get this, but not skin effect. Sorry if I’m being thick.

1 Like

Hi Nigel

This is absolutely true. As the frequency increases, electrons get forced towards the surface of the conductor, which increases the impedance those frequencies see.

However, while mains voltage varies at a relatively low 50Hz or 60Hz cycle, the current drawn by an amplifier can be in very short bursts, which has the same impact on impedance as a high frequency (what’s happening is the inductance of the cable is resisting the change in current, which in turn is why high frequency signals see a higher impedance).

Edit: The best way to think of this is that an amp doesn’t draw a set amount of power continuously, but varies in line with the music being played.

2 Likes

Certainly on class a amps

1 Like

Wouldn’t a full Class A amp be one of the only kinds that WOULD be a constant load on the wall?

It’s making heat, making tunes, or a mix thereof.

1 Like

I believe Jeremy is talking about the actual current draw into Amplifiers from the wall, not voltage. Current draw is in spikes during the rectifier-capacitor discharge/charge cycles, it’s not a constant draw from the wall. The spectral components of those current draw spikes are relatively high in frequency.

4 Likes

Yes, Anup, that was exactly what I was getting at. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can attest to that…

Having had my ‘class A’ Gryphon Essence combo for a while now…

1 Like

My mistake. Thought we were talking input amps. Im not an amp designer but if i understand correctly from Dan D my amp pulls say rated 20 amps minimum from the wall but he suggests a 30 amp breaker and dedicated circuit This is due to lower rated impedances of speakers and variance in impedance dependent on demand. At that point the amp momentarily pulls additional power from the wall and doesnt smoke the wire or trip the breaker. Pure class a. The 15 or 18 or 20 amp operating amper rating is constant without a signal to amplify generating heat.

1 Like