Harman Acquires Roon

If Roon goes up in smoke (and I certainly hope it doesn’t, nor do I believe it will) I would probably go to Audirvana which has similar but not the same functionality but lacks IIRC the ability to load a convolution filter. But Roon remains my first choice for room EQ, plus it has that really nice “single pane” UI. I am a big fan.

3 Likes

I think that dcs tries to stay out of business not in their primary line, intentionally. It appears that they have companies that make compatible products which enhance the enjoyment of their dcs product as well as other companies doing similar business and try to allow friendly competition there and be friendly with all. I doubt that dcs would make a lot more money in that business and may alienate their compatible network suppliers.

1 Like

Funny just yesterday Roon put out a PR announcement touting how they will be marching towards being all things to all people and devices…when core audiophile enterprises go that route the issue of pursuing the “Finest sound quality” takes a back seat , it just does. Thanks Roon its been great while it lasted

hopefully we don’t have anything to worry about with ‘finest sound quality’ and Roon. At least with the dCS platform. As long as a dCS dac can get the audio bits delivered perfectly (error free) via ethernet then we are golden

I can say I really love the searching speed improvements enabled with the last release

1 Like

Roon fragrance?

1 Like

I have read that Harman/ Samsung have acquired Roon to incorporate it in its audio/ video products, and to compete heavily with Sonos.

(Note: Sonos manufactures numerous products that are compatible with Roon, but there is no formal partnership between Sonos and Roon Labs).

That may be bad news. If it was just a missing feature all that Samsung would need to do is ensure that its products are Roon compatible just like other manufacturers including Sonos. So why buy Roon? As a way of competing the only advantage would seem to be be from making Roon exclusive to Samsung.

True, they may just be interested in the technology, to integrate it into their products. That might make it a closed system.

Still, there are many manufacturers that use Roon. Sonos does not have that, it at least not nearly to the same degree as Roon. That has value to Harman.

1 Like

Incorporate into your own gear and let owners have it for free the rest have to pay for it, maybe? Or just Incorporate into your own gear and stuff the rest ?

The post from @Ermos above indicates that although Harman was the vehicle through which Roon was purchased, the strategy seems to be of more general application within the Samsung group.

It may not be too long to get some sort of indication as the Galaxy 24 phone is rumoured to be released in January 24. However my guess is that by mow these have already been built awaiting that date. So maybe we need to await Galaxy 25 ? Does Samsung show at CES? I don’t think that I recall the Samsung high end audio brands attending shows like Munich.

It’s about time phone manufacturers put some decent effort towards the sound quality you get from a phone, rather than the camera side they always push with.
A much better dac, etc built-in should be where they are looking next at going, well i would if i was them as the market must be huge these day’s as just about everyone you see these days have earphones on walking about.

2 Likes

Form an orderly queue…

I built my own with an Intel NUC and used Roon ROCK. I wonder if ROCK will be discontinued and force us to buy Roon hardware.

1 Like

Interesting. Positive moves by Roon for the audiophile community;

1 Like

did I read folder browsing???

Not being a Roon user I am indifferent. However given experience of purchases, “mergers” etc. I would be inclined to wait and see over the next few years. Think of AKG.

My concern ( should I have one) would not be about the service per se but how Harman are going to monetise the purchase.

True, it remains to be seen, but for now, they seem to be making good decisions to support the genuine audiophile community. In any case, quite a few of us are perpetual license holders (from the beginning when dCS users were offered discounts), we’ve already sweat the asset :grin:

2 Likes

You have my every best wish. However we know that Roon abandoned new lifetime licences before the sale. All that harman now has to do is keep Roon as is but develop it no further then launch ( say) "Roon Starburst " with new attributes for which you will require a new, short term, licence. Sorry but companies do things like that.

No they did not. They raised the price, and call it “lifetime billing”, but the perpetual license continues to exist.

https://roon.app/en/pricing

1 Like

Thanks. I seem to rememer them saying that these licences were losing them money and had just been a way of getting cash in during their early days. Still , as you correct me, they have increased the price .