Do better ethernet cables matter?

This specific discussion of noise on Ethernet cables, being unmeasurable, and this “intermodulation noise” hasn’t been discussed before.

But hey, if you rather not provide any details, so be it. Unmeasurable noise that humans can hear is what I would call “alternate facts” :laughing:

The discussion is not about noise on ethernet cables being umeasurable, it’s about better ethernet cables. You have introduced unmeasurability and clearly want to divert the discussion into that, but it’s unhelpful to do so.

You appear to be letting theory get in the way of practice. I can easily demonstrate the difference addressing noise makes. Let me know when you’re next in the UK.

I’m a Chartered IT Professional, a Fellow of BCS, the Charted Institute for IT, and a Chartered Engineer. But I don’t let my expertise in the digital domain artificially and inappropriately constrain my lived experience; if you like, I do not insist on seeing every aspect of life through a digital lens.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

As a general rule, I prefer to use dual-grounded shielded cables anywhere up to my switch. There is a specific use case from switch to streamer where a dual-grounded shielded cable is not the most appropriate; indeed a stock unshielded Cat 6 or similar can often perform better here, because a shield can act as a conductor of noise from the switch, effectively undoing the good work of the galvanic isolation in the switch by passing it down the line to the streamer. In this specific use case, I find a shielded cable which is grounded only at one end to outperform sonically an unshielded cable, a dual-grounded shielded cable, and a cable with a completely floating shield. For the best performance, the grounded end goes at the switch end rather than at the streamer end.

No. You introduced it. Just scroll back and read your own post :slight_smile:

In any case, it’s clear that you unwilling to (or can’t) provide any evidence whatsoever, nor explanation of what might be going on. It’s ok, you’re welcome to repeat your views, as am I.

Until last year I was a firm believer, my Melco N1ZS10 audibly performed better using an Uptone EtherRegen powered by dedicated lps and short AQ Diamond RJ/E.

However, after trading in with Aurender W20SE, the use of this stuff in my chain turned out to no longer affect at all so I use the Aurender (dual aes into Apex Vivaldi) with standard stock cable directly connected to my modem…

I can provide evidence. I’ve invited you to my home to hear it for yourself.

To speak of believing and non-believing is inappropriate. You didn’t believe the switch improved the sound quality of your previous streamer, you experienced it :slightly_smiling_face:
And now you have a new streamer, you no longer hear the benefit of the switch, which would imply your Aurender is better/different (I’d suggest better but I wasn’t there!).

This is nothing to do with belief and everything to do with experience. Which is exactly what a thread like this needs…

1 Like

I’ll unfollow this thread now.

Are those ferrite clamps around your ethernet cable?

To be fair i have also tried the melco switch and found it didn’t do anything, in fact i thought it made thing’s sound worse.
As far as cables goes, then i have tried quite a few over the year’s. The one that still remains is audioquest diamond as this certainly made a difference. I use this as the last cable in the chain from switch to vivaldi.
The other main cable from the router to the switch is catsnake, this is a shielded cable that’s has the shield connected at one end only.
Also as far as switches goes, i found the innuos phoenixnet made a nice difference. I have tried to remove it a few times from my system, but it does sound better for it. Haven’t a clue what it does, but as said it sounds better for it in my system.
By the way i am on fiber now into my house and for this reason is why i have over the last year tried to remove the switch and tried different cables, as i thought the fiber cable might considerable lower the unwanted noise entering my home, but no they remain.

Cheers dunc

4 Likes

Thanks for this, Dunc.

So the Audioquest Diamond is between the PhoenixNet switch and the Vivaldi; do you have the grounded end at the switch?

Nigel

1 Like

Melco S100 works very well in my system, but only in combination with an Ifi Elite power supply. Two lineair power supplies I tried did not work well with the S100.

Last year I switched from internet/tv provider, now its glasfiber into my apartment, I have installed two extra Ifi Elite power supplies for both optical to electrical converter (internet provider) and router (internet provider).
Removed the old coax cable (and generic cat6a cable) and replaced it with AQ forrest ethernet cable with telegartner 8.1 connectors (floating), one from optical/electrical converter to router and one from router directly to the Melco S100 in my listening room. From S100 to Rossini a Sablon ethernet cable is used (also floating screen).

My system is very quiet now, transients are very clear and fast and the music is flowing. A large difference in performance at a relative low cost. Streaming with Qobuz (Mosaic) is a joy.

1 Like

Hi
Yes that’s correct

1 Like

I recently added the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 Ethernet cable - definitely made a difference, heard it immediately. It is warmer, more rounded off. -laid back if you will. I really enjoyed the change. This was coming from a AQ Cinnamon, which made no difference from a generic Ethernet cord.

1 Like

These are the switches and Ethernet cables I am currently using in my system. For Ethernet cables, they include AudioQuest Diamond, Siltech Royal Single Crown Network, Crystal Monet, and Valhalla 2. Each and every one sounds distinctly different.

Yes, very difficult to predict what an ethernet cable will bring to a system, all sound different.

Is the Nordost the cable that gives the most speed in your system?

Crystal, in fact, has better clarity and is livelier, giving a better sense of pace than Valhalla, which has more body and a wonderful tone.

2 Likes

Are these from router into your switch or from switch to streamer?

There is an Optical Network Router and a Wi-Fi router inside the utility closet located at the entrance of my apartment. These are standard, non-audiophile devices. My audio system is set up in the living room. I connect this hi-fi switch to the wall Ethernet port in the living room, and it provides an Internet connection for the dCS Rossini, streamer, projector, and smart TV.

And the cables you showed above are from the switch to the streamer?

Apologies, you mention optical but I can’t see where you have an optical link in your playback chain. Do you?