dCS Rossini APEX Review at HiFi Clube

Pls help me out here.

R u saying even if my preamp is capable to handle up to 9 v of input voltage I should still use the 2V output of Rossini Apex Dac ?

Regards,
Sourav

My preamp (Accuphase C-3850) is capable to handle up to 7V of input voltage, but there is no sonic difference between 6V and 2V.
I do not know about your McIntosh C2300.

2 Likes

Understood. Right now I am really experimenting on that by listening to 6V output for last few days.

The challenge is in deciding the right Volume level for both cases to make them comparable so that u can judge whether there is any difference in sound quality.

In both cases I am keeping DAC’s volume at maximum.

Regards,
Sourav

For what it’s worth, I sent an email to my amp’s constructor (SPEC) and they answered that 6V would saturate the preamp input, so the right choice would be 2V.

Maybe not all customer services will answer an email, but I think most will.

Andrea

1 Like

McIntosh c2300 has this documented in the manual saying for balanced connection the input voltage can go up to 9V.

Regards,
Sourav

Ayre has also said 6V is not an issue whatsoever.

Guys, I think we have been over this before, extensively:

1 Like

As I have noted in the past “if” there is any sonic benefit for setting my Vivaldi to 6V, I will give up that minuscule bit of SQ for greater control of volume via my pre-amp. I can adjust the volume much finer at 2V versus 6V.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

The selection of output voltage should be done mainly in accordance with what the connected device is supposed to handle - whether that be a preamp or power amps / active speakers. They will have a maximum input voltage above which their input will be saturated and driven into clipping.

For example. I have a lovely old Krell KSA50 here that I can run with a 6v output but if I go over -10db on the volume control then it starts to clip on peaks, setting that to 2v means that I basically have to go 10db higher on the volume to get the same level but I don’t hit clipping.

If you are going into a preamp then simply set the volume on the (in this case) Rossini to 0db and select the appropriate output voltage so as not to overdrive the inputs to your preamp (some older kit have inputs that saturate at 1v RMS so in that case you might end up using the .6v option)…

Now, you CAN do a bit of tweaking using the output voltage selector too (which is what Jim is doing above) … lets say that you have your lovely setup but that most of the time you have sufficient reserve power in hand that you are listening with the volume well down down at -50db (or whatever) then you can try setting the output voltage to a lower level (.6v or .2v) to enable you to bump your normal listening level further up the volume scale and you MAY feel that you prefer the sound of this.

Ultimately it’s what sounds best TO YOU without overloading the input to your downstream equipment…

(…and yes, I know that in my childlike heart I much prefer seeing my Rossini sat playing at -11db rather than at -1db because it lets me think that I’m not pounding my system as hard as I know that I am doing but knowing that in venturing beyond -10db I’m likely to start clipping the amp on 0db peaks is also worrying.)

Cheers

Phil

1 Like

Just bought Rosinni Player Apex … no need to listen for too long, I confirm it is the best CD player I ever heard in the past 40 years …

13 Likes

Don’t audition a Vivaldi One APEX. :smile:

1 Like

I only have a Rossini player (non Apex) and I find it hard to disagree with you. It does a bloody awesome job playing cds.

3 Likes

I don’t think that was the point of BillK’s comment. I had the Rossini for 2 years and it is amazing. I assumed the rest of my system (speakers and integrated amp) was the weak link and I wouldn’t really benefit from a better DAC. Well, I upgraded to Rossini Apex and was pretty amazed. I don’t even want to hear the Vivaldi Apex because I’m sure I would upgrade.

1 Like

Glowing review of the Rossini Apex Player over on Monoandstereo.com https://www.monoandstereo.com/2022/07/dcs-rossini-apex-player-and-rossini.html

Yep, that’s what I meant.

The Rossini Player APEX is incredible, but I’m sure a Vivaldi One APEX would be even better, but at 2.5x the price or so.

Stereonet review of dCS Rossini APEX Player, posted today:

Ummm… how do we get them to correct their article?

This Rossini Player variant sports a silver disc spinner which plays CD and SACD, the latter in its native format. This is an increasingly rare feature, and makes it – coincidentally – one of the world’s most expensive SACD machines.

Yeah, no.

2 Likes

Good catch Bill.

Maybe dCS will tell him, or, grrr, maybe other parts of the review were also made up, since it’s obvious he didn’t try to play an SACD… : /

1 Like

@James - Any contacts over at Stereonet Australia who might be able to get a correction printed?

Allow me a question here: what is the oldest dCS SACD transporter that works with Rossini? Is it Puccini?