Component cost as a percentage of system cost

That is impressive.

15 dBA is really low … a few things come to my mind

1. you can probably obtain a very good listening experience with low power and/or low efficiency speakers

2. any noise coming from speakers or electronics is a big problem against such a black background. Have you been able to select silent hardware? (streaming must have been a blessing: nothing spins). Also, what’s your solution for silent air conditioning?

3. did you experience an adaptation period under the psychological point of view? Many people experience disorientation and sensory deprivation in acoustically isolated rooms.

Thank you
A.

Hi!
my speaker are not very efficient: Sound Lab A1 (electrostatics) no noise coming from speakers or electronics, I just changed the main transformer in my power amplifier, I was not aware it was noisy, in my previous room, and you are right: no spinning, just streaming, a CD
transport, sometimes. No air conditioning, just a Skylight Velux. The room is isolated but it is not completely ‘dead’, of course after a couple of minutes you can hear your heartbeat. As soon as the music starts you are deep into it.
You can distinctly hear and evaluate the effect of all 4-6 Nyquist filters, even blind

3 Likes

That is an interesting point. Some years ago I visited a very enthusiastic audiophile in the USA who had ( reputedly) spent $250K on the acoustics of his listening room. The sound when playing music was exceptional but I felt highly uncomfortable when speaking with the owner or the other two guests due the lack of reverberation compared what we are used to in a normal room. This was not isolated in the sense of being anechoic or quasi anechoic, just having an unusual RT60 for a domestic space.

Yes that’s what I mean. The amount of information collected by our ears and processed by our brain cortex is so incredible! It changes in time, with experience, and it also changes with the subject’s psychological conditions.
You get used to things without even knowing (more on this in another post)
A.