Clocks [not Coldplay]

Sony Signature Series Z1R

• with a Bartok Headphone amplifier version :grin:

Do you mean the MDR or the IEM (why does Sony have to make this confusing)? Anyway, I confess I have never been a fan of the Sony sound signature. But this is such a subjective, personal choice. Anyone with a headphone amp as good as a Bartok should try to demo cans on Bartok or make sure to buy them from a dealer with a good return policy. I would also add to the recommended list of closed cans:

ZMF Vérité C
Focal Stella
Spirit Torino Radiante
Audeze LCD-XC
Meze Classics
And there are many more excellent ones out there.

I am more an open back guy. My number one headphone now is the RAAL SR1a and number 2 is the Stax SR-009S, But to each their own!

The MDR version - closed back so as not to be disturbed.

My stable:
009s/Carbon
Utopia w/ Bartok and Headamp GSX Mini (even though my Bartok is the headphone amp version)
or Utopia/Linn Klimax DS with GSX Mini (prefer my Linn to the Bartok however that is another story and another thread)
L300LE 80th with 353BK LE 80th
Sony Z1R for closed back listening.

Best
Gregg

That’s right, I think we had discussion about the Carbon before. I finally decided today not to keep the LTA Z10E amp. It is a superb amp, but not enough to make me give up my T2 or my Carbon CC. And I have other amps for my dynamic/planar cans. And I think I have finally decided to surrender my HeadAmp GS-X Mk2.

If I could have only one amp, but a variety of headphones, the amp would be the Z10E.

Does your Headamp GSX MK2 have a dact or was Justin doing an optional Alps RK50?
Why are you moving it on?

Best
Gregg

Mine has the DACT; it’s very quiet. It’s a superb amp, but I am culling the herd. I have a Trafomatic Primavera inbound that will round out the headphone rack, so I will have this setup:

Electrostats: Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC
Ribbons: RAAL HSA-1a
Planars & Dynamics: Trafomatic Primavera

I will miss the GS-X’s loop, but I don’t need its preamp capabilities, and I think the Primavera will do better by the Susvara.

@PaleRider @PAR

Pete, Greg,

As always I appreciate your quick responses and clarification that my best option is a Rossini Clock. I own a Rossini DAC, not a Bartok.

Now that my part of the world are preparing to return to work I do something stupid and have a cycling accident at 35mph while going down a slight hill. Totally my fault and thank God there was no car involved. A slight concussion and a fractured scratum in the tailbone area. No surgery needed but it took me 10 painful minutes to get from the car to my home on my new best friend, crutches.
We should look into equipping crutches with a small streamer and headphone amp. dCS folks - think of the possibilities. It’s no secret that audiophile demographics are not getting younger. You could make a streamer headphone amp that can be used in crutches or a walking cane. Perhaps even get MediCare to cover it.

OUCH !!!. Recover soon. I am always particularity concerned when I hear of someone suffering concussion.

I like the idea of a musical walking aid ( being somewhat aged I am due one sooner or later) but bearing in mind your demographic comment isn’t it ironic that now older people like me have the disposable income to buy this costly gear it’s at just the point in life when they start having hearing issues :confused:

Ain’t that the truth! I have medically-induced tinnitus (high dose vancomycin), and combined with loss of higher frequency acuity, it reminds me of the old adage: “youth is wasted on the young.”

So sorry to hear that Brian. Heal up and get well soon. Until then, AirPods. :wink:

As someone very new to the dCS world having taken delivery of a Bartok just this week, thanks for the helpful discussion. Clearly the Rossini clock looks to be something that needs to be high on my list for consideration as the next ‘tweak’. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but have Bartok users experienced noticeable improvements from also upgrading the power cable? I have Shunyata Venom V10 power cables on my Naim 135 amps and they gave a considerable uplift.

You may notice a difference by changing the power cable which may or may not represent an improvement to you.

I would simply find the original power cables that Naim supplied ( essential that it is those). Now replace the Shunyatas with those. listen for a good while . Is it now really inferior? Or is it actually preferable? Either way you should now have become re-accustomed to the sound without the aftermarket cables and have two of them (temporarily?) no longer in use. So you can now plug one into your Bartok and make up your own mind.

Nick
I have run a full 500 system for close to 20 years. As you know many of us have always used the included power cables - and the included interconnect cables as well. It was not until Naim decided to enter the cable business with the HiLine that anyone in Naim land even thought about this.

Where are you located? Naim’s PowerLine was appreciated more in the UK than in the States where I am. The UK version has Naim designed connectors on BOTH ends while here in the States only one end. All of us (pre PowerLine) updated the included cable with the Tibia - a larger gauge version discovered by Chris Koster (NANA) which is now automatically included in the box. Many USA owners now run AVOptions power cables which are effectively Tibias (and an even higher spec version) terminated with a Wattgate plug. These are reasonably priced and what I am using on my Bartok and soon to arrive Rossini + Clock.

Perhaps the best you can do even before changing out the cable is to run a dedicated electrical line for your system. But you already know that :wink:

Best
Gregg

Thanks for your note. You seem to be doubting that the Shunyata power cables could give an improvement on the OEM Naim power cables with the 135s. That’s interesting, I totally trust my ears and I have absolutely no doubt they are a significant step up and don’t see any need to redo that comparison. I was just intrigued if any forum members had tried ‘upgrading’ their Bartok power cable given in the power section of the manual dCS do say themselves that: “The cables supplied with the unit are ‘commercial grade’ because most owners will have their own ‘audiophile grade’ cables or will prefer to make their own cable choices’.

Thanks for your helpful note Gregg. I’m in the UK and have bought Naim gear since the early 80’s. Until recently I had never thought to try swapping the mains cables. I was of course careful with the power and I do have a dedicated power line for my system and for instance fitted sockets without switches. I think I’ll just demo a different cable and see what my ears make of it. The most sensible route I find. Thanks again.

I always advise everyone to live with whatever tweak that they are convinced by for a few months. Then reverse it and judge again. It is easy to mistake a change for an improvement.That is one reason why I particularly made the point about re-using only the original Naim cables. As you will no doubt be aware Naim actually audition the cables they supply and therefore the sonic relationship between your 135s and the power cable has at least already been considered by Naim ( not the case with most manufacturers and the cables they supply).

Yes dCS do say that about the supplied cables for all their products but it is not mandatory to change them all. In fact with a least one cable used in the flagship range changing it to an alternative would be difficult.

I am simply suggesting that you are in a position to try a Shunyata cable with your Bartok free of charge as you already own the cable.

However I think it may be that you are not really seeking advice but reassurance. You already want to buy a Shunyata cable for the Bartok and want someone to confirm that this is OK. After all it is your happiness that counts so why not?

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It did rather read as though you were sceptical! Actually though not true on whether I’ve made my mind up. You’re double guessing me. I was genuinely asking for impressions from anyone who’d tried it!