Bought a Rossini Today!

I’m using the Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR and they and the power cords make a substantial difference, not just with the DAC, but with the clock too.

I’m currently testing a Shunyata Omega QRs cable with the Rossini DAC, using an HFC to the master clock and may have to take back my previous comments on cables being the ‘icing on the cake’ as they have raised the bar to yet another level…

2 Likes

Gosh…these cables are monsters, I wouldn’t have that space to mount these :disguised_face:

Jeremy, please let us know your experience with the Shunyata QR-s power cable on the Rossini. What is an ‘HFC’ power cable?

The Shunyata cables turn out to be very flexible which makes them far easier to handle than others I’ve come across, don’t let the size necessarily put you off!

thanks- did you compare them with Transparent cables as well?

…this cable costs here 8500Euro?

The QR-s is a superb cable - about the best cable I’ve come across so far. I found everything sounded more organic and more lifelike on the Rossini than even the high-end HFC (priced at about the same price point).

HFC stands for a company called ‘High Fidelity Cables’ who made some amazing cables, however the company sadly crashed (they said due to parts shortages) during COVID and they are no longer made. I find these cables very transparent with a pinpoint accuracy.

The Shunyata QR-s, understandably, works less well on my power hungry Mjölnir headphone amp, which probably needs the full blown QR cable that was specifically designed for high current applications (the amp must draw close to 100W, even when idle).

That said, these cables cost a good part of the cost of a Rossini, but the increase in performance feels on a par with an upgrade to the DAC. By way of a sanity check, I compared these cables with a cheap AudioQuest. That experiment lasted less than five minutes!

Sadly, not yet.

1 Like

what about this: Shunyata Delta v2 NR- does that improve in your opinion?

Indeed! One could argue that their Alpha NR cable has a better balance of price/performance, however the Omega QR’s sound significantly better to my ears.

Certainly the Delta NR v1 improved things significantly on my Meridian setup. The Alpha NR is appreciably better in high current scenarios such as with Meridian’s active speakers (most noticeably in the bass), but the Delta is a great cable.

1 Like

With some components the Shunyata Delta v2 NR may work well. I do know the SQ of the Rossini kept getting better as I went all the way up to the Shunyata Omega QR-s power cable. Don’t sell yourself short on the Rossini power cable. However, for my Gryphon Antileon EVO stereo amp the Shunyata Sigma v2 NR worked as well as the Shunyata Omega QR-s and for my Gryphon Pandora pre-amp the Shunyata Alpha v2 NR worked really well so I was able to save some $$ since the amp and pre-amp both require 2 power cables each. If interested, I work with a terrific Shunyata dealer that I can refer.

If you enjoy listening to grand family pianos, then I highly recommend Brad Mehldau’s Beatles covers album called ‘Your Mother Should Know’. Brad plays solo, live with no vocals so all you hear is his great piano work on a well recorded grand piano.

1 Like

Rossini Apex shows even more now that roon has SQ issues…The differences btw. upnp/Mosaic and roon are really big- I would say it costs SQ wise 10-20% of the performance of the system (and I have a dedicated roon nucleus!). So if you go all-in with Apex you need a proper NAS system imho (talking Melco or Innuos)
Roon’s presentation is like playing behind a curtain, not colorful- it’s more “grey” and the backround is no longer “black” vs upnp. If you like to see what Apex brings into your system go upnp!
I called -after many listening hours- the Melco distributor here and chatted about my finding. He confirmed it and told me that many Melco users using upnp for a listening mode without roon (for backround and music detection roon is great, we agreed :wink: )

1 Like

Thanks! Little bit of a bummer re: Roon…thought I might try it out at some point but my original plan was to stream via Mosaic anyway.

One thing that dawned on me - it will be a pain to run an Ethernet cable to my unit. Does anyone have experience using a WiFi dongle, or is this a terrible idea?

Not with a hifi dongle, but I tried to use Diavolos (Ethernet over the power network)…and that was a bad idea SQ wise.
Can’t you put a WiFi expander near your dCS? F.ex. I’m using a AVM Fritzbox repeater to plug in power and it has one LAN port out!

Don’t assume that Roon does sound worse — or indeed different in any way — there’s very, very varied experiences in that, as with most audio debates.

People hear what they hear, but for what it’s worth I hear zero difference between Roon and Mosaic on my Rossini Apex.

(I also see no scenario in my system as to how there COULD be a difference — the music I enjoy is just 1s and 0s broadcast to a DAC that has an unshielded Ethernet cable up its jacksie and no other potentially problematic connection to my Roon Nucleus+, Qobuz, or anything else. I trust that some people do hear a difference, but for me there are more compelling psychological reasons for why they do than there are any others. I wish I did too — hey, better is better! (Or perhaps worse is worse and I should consider myself lucky that I get to enjoy Roon’s interface for no sonic detriment.)

Re: Network options — I love my eeros, and have one of the Ethernet ones near my Cisco unmanaged switch and GigaFoil fibre bridge. Works brilliantly.

5 Likes

Simple- I asked my wife what sounds better, 5 out of 5 matches!
Upnp vs roon.

Could you expound on this a bit more?

I have FiOs too (with the white box plugged in in the closet). My belief was I’d need to run a cord from there to my system in another room which would be the issue. Are you saying I could plug an Eero (or google node or whatever) in close to the system, have it pick up the Wi-Fi, then run an Ethernet from that to the DAC?