Any new FW for Network Bridge

Oh right, I forgot, my VUP was updated in 2016 (I haven’t opened up my VUP since I first got it :grin:)

The NWB is superior than the internal Rossini period.

I buy your logic thaughts, but then all streamers would sound the same regardless of price, because the do the same jobb and decode the data stream internally.
Aurender , and other high end streaming companys can put down their production and just sell Rasbarry pies insted as many do and work well👍

It is more factors as the PSU design for one that gives you a difference and separate casing etc etc.

You loose some with the connecting plus on the cables but gain some, so in the end, the NWB takes the upper hand if you get a chance to take a listen.

But yes all streamers on market decode the same files as Rossini :+1:

Sorry, that’s not based on facts.

Then all streamers sounding exact the same is your fact or are you the designing constructor ?

Just to add my own experience -

I have found the sound quality of Naim NDX2 (without separate Power Supply) feeding to Rossini Apex dac through spdif is very slightly inferior than streaming using Mossaic in Rossini.

Regards,
Sourav

In all likelihood the NDX has more jitter.

Your conclusion is right, all streamers do sound the same. What sets them apart is the noise and jitter they push into the dac. Use Toslink with a dac that’s highly jitter resistant and you’ll find no difference in an unsighted test. I know this won’t convince you, since there are people buying Taiko’s and swearing they make a difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes i know how it works, it is only a unpacking and encoding, but then the streamer board inside the Rossini got more jitter or more interfering magnetic fields inside with one les transformer vs NWB, because it does sound worse.

I got both at my table and listen to them as we speak, there is no doubt which one is better.

My hearing is perfect from 20-17.800 hz from hearing tests.

None of that matters but like I said, wasn’t expecting to convince you, just like you won’t convince you can tell the difference between them and any other streamer in an unsighted test. Wasted too much time and money testing streamers to believe otherwise at this point. To each his own. I will say, statements like that had me believing dCS is mostly snake oil for quite a while. Took hearing a Lina to convince me otherwise. Ordered a Rossini + clock blind, which have just arrived, and am extremely impressed. Looks like my Dave is the one going.

I do not know your background, but i can say everything is not the same just because it is in digital domain. You said it yourself; Jitter is the worst enemy and a better streamer handles this better than others.

Otherwise why did you buy a Rossini?

I got an DAVE also, but i like the dCS sound better, just because there is a difference

1 Like

Agreed that there’s a difference. And it’s clearly better imo. My background is in software, so when I hear about audiophile routers and network switches I get a migraine. That said I’m no
hardware engineer, and I must’ve tested at least 6 streamers looking for a difference that couldn’t be boiled down to noise entering the dac or the streamer doing upsampling, or some other trick. As well as all of the other “mandatory Dave improvements” before jumping off that train.

While I agree completely with the rest of your posts, dCS has never suggested anything more than “clean bit-perfect” operation with the NWB, and it objectively delivers exactly what it says it does. IIRC, the NWB was always positioned as just a tool for dCS owners to bring network streaming to their legacy dCS platforms.

That said, it has built-up an almost mythical reputation, which you can see reflected in the thread; a lot of that I think has to do with the many Audiophile Media who attribute magical powers to the NWB by reviewers who lack any technical knowledge whatsoever, and by Users who likewise throw around theoretical ideas about noise and jitter, but have never actually measured these things in real-life, all they go by is their expectation-biased subjective hearing and insist they’re right :rofl:

1 Like

I had never dived deeper into what dCS had to say at that point, I was just going by the wave of owners that swore every little thing made huge differences, just like with most Hi-Fi products. Don’t get me started on the Dave thread.
Reading more however, I love dCS’s no bs approach to things, like specifically calling out popular “improvements” like improper cables, etc. Expectation bias is indeed a powerful thing and I’ve fallen for it myself more than once.

2 Likes

Completely understandable, and I totally agree.

At the end of the day, w.r.t to some of the other posts in this thread, to suggest that the dCS Engineers don’t know how to engineer the Rossini’s built-in Streaming to sound as good, if not better, than an externally connected NWB is, quite frankly, absolutely ludicrous :grin:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: Touché :raised_hand:

Anup, i sense your sarcastic post aiming towards me, and a few others on this forum.
Why do you own and use dCS, and not a Mola-Mola , Topping or a RME instead, that measures better? So a product like the NWB cant better the Rossini that is a 4 year older design with a integrated streamer vs a 4 year newer streamer design. Development go forward.

But if you want to live in the impression of nothing can ever be designed better than the streamer inside the Rossini, then be my guest✋ That is very funny indeed, if you believe that.

Measurements can be a good tool to get an idea if a product got a design fault, and assume if a digital product have a great sound, but it is not always true to reality.

I was also of the same impression and understanding as you, and i did not think that streamers did any big difference for a few years time, because of many measure similar.

You are a intelligent theoretical person, but scientists and developers do not know how to measure musicality or measure a sense of soul in a equipment, we can just assume what the outcome will be.
We do not know or able to measure everything, we just scratching the top of the crust.

There is a huge amount of different factors that can differentiate that a streamer or cable can sound different.

The list is long, and something we can discuss by PM.

Tip: Start a new thread where you can discuss that you are good with a BlueSound Node for all time in the future and compare it to your Rossini and performe som messaurments on the Rossini vs NWB :+1::sweat_smile:

I think you are to fast to judge a persons knowledge . Pleas present your background and back up everything you are stasting from now on.

Then try to come out from your matrix bubble 🫧

Fredrik, IMO it is quite sufficient to say that, for you with your system, the addition of the NWB sounds better. I respect that position. Your ears, your money, your choice. We are all grownups with a passion for music and its reproduction in the home and we all hear differently.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Before things get out of hand can I ask that we all remember to play nicely here … discussion is fine but please don’t let emotions take over.

If someone feels that using an external streamer sounds better within the context of their system then great … I’m sure that we would all ensure that the cost of any change to our systems is accompanied by a change in performance that justifies that cost and as long as that is the case then that’s all good.

This is a very subjective passion and we all have our hot buttons… :slight_smile:

Cheers

Phil

4 Likes

@Phil

I am not here on this forum to argue with anyone, i am a dCS provider and re-selker who just like the brand, and also other brands that sit closer tho my heart than others, and i am hear to contribute and share knowledge and experiences. I also let everyone got their own philosophic or technological experiences or thoughts.

I have learned many thinks in life and i am humble in my opinion on my thoughts, but if someone is slightly to down in the measurements and the theoretical parts of this hobby and who states that nothing can be bettered by another product or design, then i take it with grain of salt from my knowledge through the years just and also if someone start bullying or make fun of you.

So to share a light here in this topic:

Martin Reynolds a dCS that is know unfortenatly retired now, who i knowned for many years and we become good friends and send wecation pictures to eachother and helped me to service , custom mods , services etc etc during the years.
We disquesst almost every component inside of a dCS dac in depht for most part.

He was contribute to the build of both the Rossini and NWB, and know how it is designed from ground up and who every component interacts with eachother. The main board , the processor controlled dual Clocks , the powersupply etc etc.

I got emails with what the differences are and what differ these two similar streamer boards. :+1:

Would be great fun if you could share your inside from dCS point of view afterwords?