Any benefit to an EtherRegen?

I too have SFP in my chain and just for fun, tried this link. On hearing the difference, I ended up buying Innuos PhoenixNet and am liking what I am hearing. Note that I had NWB with me for some time and tried these two items with NWB too and could hear the difference.

Interesting. My chain is:

Gigabit wired home networking (Netgear unmanaged switches) → 10GTek Ethernet-SFP bridge → Optical run → ROBOfiber SFP-Ethernet bridge → SoTM Isocat → Rossini. The ROBOfiber is powered by an Ultracap LPS-1 lps.

The Isocat is the audiophile version of the isolator you have (probably identical inside) and I am using it cuz I have it. Same for the Ultracap, I had it lying around so why not. I can’t say I hear a difference.

I might try a PhoenixNet just cuz.

Another interesting experiment I did with PhoenixNet that I forgot to mention earlier was that since my source is a Windows computer, the FLACs I have locally, I copied them over to another computer on the same network so that when I play them, they are routed through PhoenixNet. And yes, I can hear the difference clearly between when the file is played from local disc vs when played from remote computer. The one coming through PhoenixNet sounds better in the sense that soundstage is more detached and decays are natural (not rushed). Wish I could define in a better way. My chain is as follows. ISP provided ARRIS Modem/router/switch > TP Link Ethernet/SFP bridge > fiber in to TP Link switch > PhoenixNet > Windows computer > Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker > RME MADIFace (USB to MADI converter) connected optically to > RME ADI 642 (MADI to AES converter) > dCS Debussy. Since these RME items can take external clocks, they together with Debussy are clocked by a Rossini clock.

I know, so many boxes but every time I tried any simpler alternative, could not get what this system provides. At this time I am a firm believer of the fact that digital transportation of data from source to DAC is far more important than the quality of DAC.

1 Like

Wait… So are you saying that the PhoenixNet is not in your path when you play from the Windows computer? Honestly I don’t see how the PhoenixNet is being used as it is supposed to. The design is:

Source streamer (eg Roon Core) → Network → PhoenixNet → Streamer/DAC

When you put the PhoenixNet before your Windows machine connected over USB to your DAC you get the worst of both worlds:
1- Your Windows computer’s connection to your network is slower which makes it slower to copy files to it for example
2- The noise filtering of the PhoenixNet is pointless as your Windows machine will produce more noise

Having said all this, it’s your setup and whatever works for you is great.

You are right but since I mostly listen to streaming, I have set it up like this and also, I have copied all my FLACs to a different computer on my network so that when I play them, they are routed through PhoenixNet.

Yes :slight_smile: This is my setup

1 Like

I am going to try this as i already have a cisco switch under the stairs that splits all my gear so dont need much to try.
Just need to get one that works ok with the cisco.
But i already have fiber into the house so not much copper cable now anyway

This is very similar to what I do:

Internet → 1gig wired networking → 10GTeK Ethernet-SFP bridge → ROBOfiber SFP-Ethernet bridge (running in 100mbps mode) → IsoCat Ethernet filter → dCS Rossini

The ROBOfiber is powered by an Ultracap LPS (just because I had it).

A wired NUC10i7 running Roon ROCK is serving the music.

1 Like

This is almost identical to my setup too. I have an EtherREGEN directly before my DAC fed by an optical cable from my Ubiquity managed switch. We both use the same fantastic blue jeans cable Ethernet cable.

1 Like

This SFP works just fine with Cisco:

Yes and no :slight_smile: You need to make sure that LAN cable between the FMC and the DAC is as short as possible.

Oh yes :slight_smile: CAT6 UTP from BJC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anybody tried Sonore Optical Module Deluxe II?

Have a nice WE

Torben

Yes, I recently replaced a generic TRENDnet device with the new OpticalModule Deluxe v2. It made a significant improvement – and I honestly don’t know why, since I have an EtherRegen on the other side of the fiber optic connection. Go figure.

1 Like

May I ask what your network setup was / is now?

If you’re asking me (the OP), it’s all changed, thanks in part to this thread. The closet where the Roon server, cable modem, Cisco switch and EtherRegen lived was needed for other purposes, so now the setup now looks like this:

Spectrum cable modem —> Cisco 24-port switch —> Fiber media converter —> EtherRegen ----> dCS Bartók ----> Rogue Audio RP-9 preamp ----> Vandersteen M5-HPA amps ----> Vandersteen Quatro speakers.

The cable modem and 24-port switch are still in the closet where the cable service enters the house and the patch panel to all the Ethernet ports reside.

The FMC, EtherRegen, a timing clock from AliExpress, a Synology NAS and the Intel NUC Roon server all reside on a rack in the upstairs hall, and are powered by an HDPlex 300-watt linear power supply.

The streaming DAC, pre-amp, amps and speakers are in my listening room, along with a turntable, phono pre-amp and an Audioquest power conditioner.

The in-wall Ethernet is Cat 5e installed when the house was built; the other Ethernet cables are Cat 5E from Blue Jeans Cable. Of course there’s a short run of fiber-optic cable from the FMC to the fiber port on the “B” side of the EtherRegen.

I’m retired and this is my main hobby, so I have fun tinkering with this stuff. I can’t say it sounds profoundly better but there were some improvements.

1 Like

Thank you @John_Gallup for your detailed answer! Very interesting! I’m also using the etherRegen with a fiber connection. The biggest improvement in the whole ethernet process was to add a Farad Super3 with orange fuse to the eR. I had a Keces p8 with a slight improvement in regards to the PS that came with the eR but the Farad is night and day.

I thought I’ve hit the “reply button” and therefore asked @Cleop as I’m interested in the oM D v2.

2 Likes

Sorry for the extreme delay in getting back to you on this, but I haven’t had time to visit the community since before the holidays.

My network setup is as follows: an AT&T fiber optic modem to a generic 48-port switch to the OpticalModule Deluxe v2 (via a direct CAT 6A connection – i.e., no wall jacks) to the EtherRegen (via fiber optic cable) to the Vivaldi Upsampler. The ethernet cables between the AT&T modem and the router, and between the router and the OM Deluxe, use Belden 10GXS33 wire with Telegartner connectors, and the EtherRegen and Vivalid are connected via a Shunyata Omega ethernet cable. The OM Deluxe is powered by Sonore’s best LPS (with SR purple fuse), and the EtherRegen is powered by a Paul Hynes LPS (which I, too, found to be noticeably superior to the Keces LPS I started out with). Everything from the OM Deluxe forward is plugged into a Shunyata Everest power conditioner, and the EtherRegen and Vivaldi Upsampler (plus my SRS Perf 10 master clock and its Sean Jacobs LPS) are connected to a Shunyata Altaira grounding hub.

I hate to say it, but each element of this elaborate chain made an improvement in SQ. I have no idea why anything before the EtherRegen would, since it shouldn’t, but that just was my experience. As they say, YMMV.

Hope this helps.