Advice wanted on how best to integrate a DSP (Accuphase DG68) into my system

I totally agree. Years back when I had a much smaller listening room and full-range speakers, I had a Rives PARC between my Pre-Amp and Amp to EQ off a couple of room modes. The PARC was parametric in the analog domain, up to just 350Hz with a Q as narrow as 1! Brilliantly transparent.

I don’t need any active EQ now, but to this day I regret selling off that unit :laughing:

Interesting. Whats the difference between “Voicing” and “Equalizer”? Just the channel bandwidth? (I re-looked at the technical brochure; 67-band vs. 80-band, IIR).

Even at 67-bands (I assume @20kHz bandwidth) those IIR filters need to be pretty steep!! I’d be very curious about the DG-68’s impulse response and group delay across the bands.

I assume most people don’t touch anything above bass frequencies? :thinking:

1 Like

just to be clear, you don’t mean real “danger” with this statement, do you? We’re talking about non-damage causing annoying behavior here, right? not actual danger of damage?

“Voicing” is measuring the room with the supplied mic and then automatically calculate the filters for correction. Target curves can also be set. Both channels are measured separately, but the differences between left and right channel are also integrated into the calculated filters. You then store the entire setting into memory.
In automatic mode all frequencies are touched. But you can manually select (or correct) the bands (1/6 octave are two half-tones) you want to correct and leave the rest untouched.
On top of this you have an additional EQ, which is superimposed to the calculated corrections. You can choose between Voicing and Voicing + EQ.
Since one band of a graphic EQ does also affect adjacent bands, you need to find a method to make them relatively steep. I vaguely remember having read somewhere about an Accuphase patent from around 2000, where this issue had been addressed.

2 Likes

Danger: a feedback loop is to be avoided under all circumstances as its volume is increasing so quickly that it might damage your speakers (and ears) if you do not cut the loop instantly.

2 Likes

Starting to wonder if its not best to run the DG68 between the Amp and Pre-amp then (page 2 of your diagram)… I guess I’ll have cables for both options at the ready and give both a try.

I was curious and did a quick search, looks like this is it, originally filed in 2003;

The original filing is in Japanese, the Google translated version is a little difficult to read :laughing:

Wow. This is it. Many thanks for the link.