A few questions on cd transports

Obvious. Yours is not the answer.

1. I do have a dCS DAC.
  2. Electronic room correction can generally not handle encrypted SACD signals. For electronic room correction downsampling to PCM is required before the corrected signal is sent to the DAC. Downsampling SACD to 16/44.1k means SQ quality loss.
    The signal path is Transport > Room Correction > DAC.

Got it now?

As that’s the reason why not request it as an added feature using the dCS Products category? dCS do look at threads of this type.

I did some math because I was fancy a good CD transporter as well…
ProJect CD transporter + cable cost roughly 3500 Euro. An Audio Note CDT2 roughly 6000Euro. dCS Rossini…you know!
For that money, I can buy more than 150 albums on Qobuz in highres/redbook format…store it on NAS and call it a day. Guess I’m through with physical media…

3 Likes

What is a good transport? I currently have a Cyrus dAD7 top loader doing duties as a transport. It sounds wonderful. No, I can’t sync it using wordclock. No, it doesn’t have SACD capabilities. I upsample to DSD using an old dCS972. Straight S/PDIF into the Vivaldi also sounds very good.

Why quit using physical media if you can find a cheap solution that sounds good?
I’ll let you know what happens when my Vivaldi transport arrives.

My point is that you shouldn’t let theoretical existence of better transports spoil the enjoyment of playing music through your world-class dCS DAC. If you like to spin the occasional disc, do so. It also depends on how many discs you own. I for one like picking up a physical disc and putting it in the player. Who cares what you use? If you like to use a Nagra CDT or similar because it fits nicely into your system esthetic, why not? I am sure it will be enjoyable.

I’m also not basing my decisions purely on availability. I think the Esoteric drives inside the Paganini/Puccini, Scarlatti and Vivaldi hold up real well. I owned a Paganini transport for a while which was quite old but still working perfectly. My Cyrus transport has no laser or mechanics problems whatsoever after almost 30 years. Am I crazy buying a 10 year old Vivaldi transport? I hope to enjoy it for a long time. If it fails, we’ll see. It is not a Verdi that fails drives every few years.

1 Like

Everybody knows that decrypting encrypted DSD data to get high res PCM data can technically be done, but is illegal.
Hence dCS will simply not downsample encrypted DSD data to PCM higher than 16/44.1 (e.g. 24/176.4) for legal reasons.

That was not exactly he restriction imposed by the (then) patent holders. It was that raw data from SACD could not be sent outside of the player. Incidentally not a criminal act but subject to civil action being brought by the rights owners.I would anticipate hat the patents may have expired by now anyway.

dCS were intimately involved in this, being makers of separate transports and DACs only at the time of its introduction and also as partners of Sony in devising the data packing used in SACD.

1 Like

If we’re on that track I would like it if we could upsample an sacd to dsd128 or DXD from the transport. Would be nice to hear the differences. If they’d want to encrypt it, fine. People ripping sacd have easier ways to do so…

Yep. Illegal not as a criminal act but as a breach of contract.

Well I have thought aboit it all some more, for me I can’t see myself ever getting a dCS transport, as like i said the vivaldi, and rossini are far too expensive for the time i will give them.
I don’t need to have SACD, so that’s another problem sorted.
I can’t see my vivaldi clock working on a transport that i might buy, shame but there you go.
So it leaves me at this junction, maximum spend £2000 for a transport only, max out red book playback only.
New or a few years old max.
Transport must be available going forward from manufacturer, and not an ebay item.

Been looking at a few like the projeck rs2, moon 260d, urd, etc.
The one that’s standing out at the moment is Jay’s CDT2-MK3, looks a quality item, and fits my requirements.

The only thing that is stopping me is, do i even need it ? This is the question as if i put my upsampler down to 44.1 against DSD, or the other top sampling rates, the difference is huge, the sound stage just disappears in comparison, and if i am them going to upsample the CD to say DSD, then won’t it really just sound the same as qobuz or my stored stuff that i have ripped etc?
So at the moment sitting on the fence.

That is a question that contains its own answer. If you really need something then you need it , no question.

Remember that upsampling adds no new information.

The output from a dCS transport for SACD is encrypted DSD and cannot be upsampled AFAIK.

The answer really is i don’t need a CD player.
I haven’t needed one for year’s, and not sure why it has even crossed my mind.
My melco n1zs and vivaldi upsampler do a smashing job already.

1 Like

Do they not :grinning:.

Not sure why this says ‘second-hand’ BTW. They are brand new, 230v UK spec. and come with warranty

Hi Dave,

May I kindly point you to this, as you seem a member of the audio industry:

Members of the industry are welcome here as well, but we respectfully ask that you properly disclose your affiliation. If you represent a manufacturer, distributor, integrator, dealer, or are a member of the press please inform the community by editing your profile as follows:

• Include your real name (first name only is fine)
  • Include your company name and position. This can be included in the title field. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have issues here.
  • Include the website URL of your company (if applicable).

https://dcs.community/faq

1 Like

Apologies, I didn’t know this.
Below is my response;

• Include your real name (first name only is fine) - David
• Include your company name and position. Little Village Audio - Partner

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
You can add your info to your profile like this:

2 Likes

@James, this seems to be no more than a a sales advertisement from a dealer. Moreover it isn’t even concerned with dCS equipment.

The forum rules are impossible to find ( I just used the search facility). However I would have imagined that such postings would be forbidden ( they are on just about every other audio forum that I have used).

If, however, this kind of thing is acceptable then I am sure that my dealer, along with others, will be pleased to learn that this medium is open to him. He regularly emails me about available px equipment, for example.

https://dcs.community/faq

1 Like

Thanks Erno. I don’t know where you got the URL from as I re-checked the search facility and although postings that mention the words “forum rules” make up the result, a URL or other link cannot be found ( at least by me :grinning:).

I thought that @James mentioned a few weeks ago that the location of the rules was going to be improved ( I think the context was AI) but this does not seem to have happened, for example, by a “sticky” at the start.

As I now have had a chance to read them it seems to me that they have been devised simply from the point of view that postings will always be some kind of discussion. So a suitable associated decorum is dealt with. The posting in question here is not , of course, a discussion in any sense. However there is currently no embargo regarding advertising of any description.

I await James’ comment as this forum could b a valuable medium for free advertising available to dealers and others.

1 Like