A few questions on cd transports

Welcome to the forum!
You can add your info to your profile like this:

2 Likes

@James, this seems to be no more than a a sales advertisement from a dealer. Moreover it isn’t even concerned with dCS equipment.

The forum rules are impossible to find ( I just used the search facility). However I would have imagined that such postings would be forbidden ( they are on just about every other audio forum that I have used).

If, however, this kind of thing is acceptable then I am sure that my dealer, along with others, will be pleased to learn that this medium is open to him. He regularly emails me about available px equipment, for example.

https://dcs.community/faq

1 Like

Thanks Erno. I don’t know where you got the URL from as I re-checked the search facility and although postings that mention the words “forum rules” make up the result, a URL or other link cannot be found ( at least by me :grinning:).

I thought that @James mentioned a few weeks ago that the location of the rules was going to be improved ( I think the context was AI) but this does not seem to have happened, for example, by a “sticky” at the start.

As I now have had a chance to read them it seems to me that they have been devised simply from the point of view that postings will always be some kind of discussion. So a suitable associated decorum is dealt with. The posting in question here is not , of course, a discussion in any sense. However there is currently no embargo regarding advertising of any description.

I await James’ comment as this forum could b a valuable medium for free advertising available to dealers and others.

1 Like

Hamburger menu at the top right: FAQ

I completely agree with you that advertising on this community should be blocked.

4 Likes

Thanks folks for flagging and bringing this to my attention.

Up until now we haven’t really needed anything in the forum rules related to advertising products on the forum. There are of course a lot of user suggestions of products. Any cases where people affiliated with manufacturers have brought up products they are associated with have been to drive the relevant discussion forwards - not with the sole intention of selling to the forum userbase.

I very much try to operate things here with a light touch, only nudging things in the right direction for the wider community when they are needed. However, I think it is fair to say that allowing advertisements, particularly from manufacturers, risks degrading the quality and authenticity of conversation for all users.

This forum is intended to be a place for open discussion, driven by dCS owners and enthusiasts – not a place for dCS users to be sold to. We deliberately do not have a “marketplace” section for users to sell second-hand products for this reason – the forum is a place for discussion, and there are appropriate places to go to for this type of sale to be facilitated. I agree that this is also true of manufacturer involvement, and such advertisements should not be allowed.

Regular users will note that even dCS staff don’t push our products through the forum - it’s just not what it is here for. We answer questions and participate in forum discussions, but we don’t sell.

I will update the forum rules on this next week, as I want to be sure I have worded it correctly and not knee-jerk react and get something posted hastily.

Very good point. There is a general “sticky” post that sits at the top of everyone’s home screen (this one), and I will edit that post to include the forum rules to make them more visible. That post hasn’t been edited since the forum was created back in 2018, so it is due for a refresh anyway!

7 Likes

Well the esoteric p03 looks very interesting.
It has the very nice transport.
It has dual aes outputs.
It has world clock input at 75 ohms.
Split design inside, one side power supply the other side transport.

Maybe this could be a good substitute?

Possibly. It looks interesting on paper.

As with purchasing all legacy players do check that spare optical pickup units are available and buy one now as they may no longer be if you find that you need one in a couple of years.

Looking at the unit online it appears that its PS is a separate box so ensure that any sale includes this.

I was just doing some research lol.
I decided i don’t need a CD transport really as i already stream and store music on my SSD melco n1zs mk2.
Plus as you say replacement transports is the issue.
It looks like esoteric don’t service these any more? But that might be wrong as it’s just what i read, but that’s not great if true
Plus i know the transport on these are built like a tank and it’s the 2 belts that can fail. These can be replaced, but the complete transport if you can find one is very costly and i mean thousands.
But you can pick up a P03 for £3000 or less in working order.
Alao, it’s a one box and not two. The power supply is a separate box, but it’s attached to the transport box. Then a nice front hides the fact it is actually two boxes.

It was more a post of a transport that might work well with a dcs dac.
With it having dual aes and a clock input that should work ?

Cheers dunc

As I said, it looks good on paper. However I don’t have any hands on use.

As for spares it would be less likely to require a complete transport replacement, only the OPU as the laser is really a consumable. Also Esoteric transports of this age with dual laser systems ( CD or SACD) have a cog in the swapping mechanism that can wear. However I have been unable to find out if the OPU is of this nature. If not and as the machine is sold as a universal player ( CD, SACD and DVD) then it may play all formats with a laser of a singe wavelength which would be a compromise. I have no idea about Esoteric servicing and that does not look straightforward to me.

I agree that your Melco reduces any need for a transport. Not that I am biased , having one too :wink:. However I have to point out that the Rossini Transport opened me to a higher level of silver disc replay than I had ever anticipated with other ( dCS) transports. However, that is another matter.

Dunc,
if you have a Melco already, you may buy the CD ripper from Melco too (D100- a fantastic device) and you can use this combi as CD player (!) as well.
Melco—USB—D100----USB—dCS

1 Like

Did that and sold it as i couldn’t hear why i would want to.
This was after ripping all my CD’S

1 Like

I guess if you use dual aes into the dac then no upsampeing will be done? If this is the case then i wouldn’t want to lose that as it adds so much to the normal red book quality.
I guess for that it would be single aes in to the upsampler

I am now lost as to what we are talking about. The thread is currently dealing with using the Melco D-100. However your question can’t apply to this:

Are we talking about the Esoteric P-03 again? If so there will be upsampling with that transport into a DAC that handles the formats as the Esoteric has upsampling for PCM 2x or 4x or conversion from PCM to DSD.

If not, what combination are we now dealing with ?

We are back with the esoteric.
The D100 was just a quick side step. Been there and done that

Duncan, not all “Dual AES” between different vendors are fully compatible with each other - for example, Chord with dCS Dual AES works for hirez bit-rates but not redbook. I have no idea if Esoteric’s Dual AES is fully compatible with dCS. So, be cautious.

2 Likes

Thanks Anup that is a reasonable caveat and is why I was careful to say that I have not had any hands on experience wuih the Esoteric transport.

However :

That is correct. Dual AES cannot work for redbook or sample rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96 kS/s as all are handled by a single AES connection. Dual AES only functions for PCM rates is excess of these or DSD. If you watch your Vivaldi DAC’s display you will see that fed a mixed diet of of redbook or hi-rez although two AES connections are there physically only a single one is operational for redbook or other low rate formats.

As said i am not looking at getting one or any CD transport.
It was just that it looked a good contender with the outputs and clock.
The duel aes on the esoteric look to be L and R.

I thought you were hallucinating but you’re right…

That’s fascinating. I don’t recall ever seeing a digital connection that splits the left and right channel signals before!

I have the opportunity to try one but not sure if it’s worth trying or not really?
Not sure how best to connect it up, etc.