Bartok Apex Upgrade

What is the next big show where an official Bartok Apex announcement would likely be timed with? Or does dCS just roll their own announcement schedules and not tie them to any particular trade show?

So we have another data point and another country, seems like we may have an Bartok Apex. Now what is the deal with the two tiered pricing?

This dCS dealer in Stockholm is offering its ex-demo Bartók HDAC (non-Apex) for sale. Another clue?

think we may see a few of these hitting the market

1 Like

If the Bartok APEX is true, and there is tiered pricing on the upgrade, one would have to invest up to $9k (USD) more into their Bartok. As the lowest end DAC in the dCS line, that does not resonate well. As a percentage of the cost of the Bartok, it’s a very high price of entry compared to the other models. In fact, it feels like it’s meant to discourage you from doing it (and perhaps encourage you to upgrade instead).

The cost to upgrade to APEX should be the cost to upgrade to APEX. Not based on some point in time. Then why not apply that approach to the Rossini and Vivaldi as well? It does not make sense and it leaves a bad taste of the brand. If you bought a Bartok, you bought a Bartok–it should be simple as that! Want to upgrade to APEX? – here’s the (one) price to do that.

In any case, all of this is hearsay right now. We’ll wait to see if any of this bears out.

2 Likes

Just seen this on the Guildford Audio website in the UK. Very strange.

2 Likes

As everyone knows dCS have not made any announcement about a Bartok Apex DAC ( HPA or solo) at his point. It remains as speculation and even if you believe the rumours there is nothing you can do to get one. dCS will not supply dealers nor undertake an upgrade until ( if) the official announcement is made should this happen. I am sure that some dealers might be happy to accept an order nevertheless to improve their cash-flow even if they can’t (yet?) supply the goods. Naughty.

The current price of Bartok HPA in the UK is £17,750 so if you take the Guildford Audio ad at face value you can work out a price differential should the ad be for the HPA version - it is ambiguous. However if and until the product is released you can do nothing except speculate.

I would counsel simply calming down and exercising some patience . It will become clear on a practical level what is or isn’t happening as the new year wears on.

Seems the cat is out of the bag though Pete - although apex is not specifically mentioned, Oxford Audio Consultants are showing the Bartok at £19,000 and the Bartok H/E at £21,500 which is the price I was told by a dealer last week and posted on here.

No comment :grinning:.

Whatever, if there is such a thing you won’t be able to get your hands on one until the announcement. In the UK so far hardware updates have been carried out at the Swavesey factory. if it is to be then there will likely be a wait ( my Vivaldi Apex was ordered in May and delivered in November). So I will reiterate the need for patience.

2 Likes

Love the banter … it will all be revealed in its good time.

2 Likes

The most interesting thing about this is the fact that the Headphone version is now only slightly more expensive than the dac version. And it’s a prettt fair pricic considering the headphone amp’s performance.

I remember that dCS waited to ugrade the Bartok to 2.0 after the Rossini Apex was introduced, this to maintain a certain performance difference between the two, maybe they changed their mind and are happy now to upgrade the bartok to a “simular” level as the Rossini apex. Or is there a new software upgrade coming for the Rossini Apex, haha :slight_smile:

More banter coming

1 Like

Acknowledging that there are many dedicated fans of dCS on this forum and this very thread (regrettably I must somewhat exclude myself), it is my personal thinking that dCS might play a smarter hand by concentrating on its somewhat captive “home audience” first.
Because:
Home audience provides safer and more understanding pilot ground for new product/service.
Rewards loyal followers with a degree of advance information.
Stops repeat and unsuccessful requests of dealers about a half hidden launch.
Treats customers spending larger sums on first world products like adults…
…just saying… :shushing_face:

Hey we haven’t even touched on people like myself, that got the Rossini (non-Apex) right after the Apex upgrade price increased :upside_down_face: And would, if the rumors are true, have to pay more than Bartok owners to get their Rossini to the level of the new Bartok Apex, essentially making it cheaper to just turn get rid of it and get a Bartok Apex.
While this might end up being the case, for a company as careful as dCS, this makes little sense. Banter’s fun though

Word on the street is that the apex board for the bartok differs from that found on Rossini and vivaldi so it’s quite possible a performance gap will remain

And likely not just because of any differences on that board — the sound quality differences between Bartok and Rossini (non-Apex) were already obvious in my system, even when both were on 2.0 firmware.

1 Like

Just for fun (sarcasm button pressed)

So I can look forward to Lina 2.0 then APEX :grinning:

I’ve got Lina DAC and clock in my 2ch

2 Likes

you are right, many people think or hope that when buying an entry level product they can eventually get the benefits of highest end product simply by one or two upgrades…Free upgrades it is even better…
Unfortunately it never happens like that…You can upgrade a Bartok a couple of time before it sounds like a Vivaldi…The best route to improuve the sound of your stereo is buying better conponents, the uprgrades are refinement not new products…

2 Likes

Bartok will never be Rossini, nor will Rossini ever be Vivaldi.

4 Likes

Oh, I don’t know. I think my ‘upgrade’ is pretty convincing :crazy_face:

5 Likes